Aussie vintage 'Fresco lures'

MXB
Master
Master

Aussie vintage 'Fresco lures'

Post by MXB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi all . . .

Here's a couple more of my favourites from an Australian manufacturer in Melbourne. Fresco lures by Sydenham in Melbourne, Australia. Not sure of the age of these but the 'Duchess' resembles another famous lure so much that it may be an early copy/competitor of Abu's 'Toby spoon'??

Anyone know anything about these guys or the company?? These are the only two I have . . . the 'Symbol' looks to have an annealed metal finish (not corrosion).

Check them out;
phpkugptyAM.jpg
phpdC8PgKAM.jpg
phpwh7LkaAM.jpg
phpm20MkpAM.jpg
MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Aussie vintage 'Fresco lures'

Post by diemai » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm

@ MXB

That "Duchess" really comes very close to a "Toby" , but it seems to me that it's length:width ratio is slightly different , the Aussie seems to be a tad wider to me .

Obviously I never came across these lures , but by that plastic box I'd assume them to be late 60's to mid 70's vintage ,.........I just hazard a guess , as every period has it's own design fashion , so it just makes me to think that way ??? ?

Can't tell about that "annealed" finish , and it' shard to see on the pics ,........ but I assume , that it is not by intention , but by aging , .........old silver spoons , that are not taken care off , sometimes look similar .

The way , that "Fresco" named their spoons , also reminds me to Scandinavian ones , as those manufacturers often give them seemingly just any , non-fishing related name , obviously just to somehow "label" and/or differ the vast array of their lure models .

Don't know , if you understand my thoughts , but it just came into my mind !

Would be great , if someone would come up with a couple of more "Fresco's" , I am really eager to see , whether there would be more familiar designs among them !

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 pm

@diemai

The 'Duchess' is heavier and more robust than an Abu . . . in fact its probably a bit 'over-produced'. Great finish tho'

The 'Symbol' is definitely annealed because it has the same finish as the one you made + I had a little rub when I first got it a while back and the multicoloured greens and reds and maroons stayed put.

A agree these lures are made in the 1960's by the box and I'll hazard a guess as to why they are named and its due to the historical significance of the English Royal family when we were still under the reign of the English monarchy and went decimal in 1966 (from pounds and pence to dollars and cents!!). I've got a feeling the market was saturated with products that tried to sound "Royal" to use another word . . . King 'Codder' (an early Australian legendary lure), queen, prince etc so maybe 'Duchess' and 'Symbol' are a marketing attempt??? Just a guess but Australia really changed during these times and would have grown out of this mentality advertising wise after the Vietnam War. Now we are talking Aussie history but you know what . . . thats what old lures are all about blahblah

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:41 pm

@ MXB

Thanks for further info , Roger !

Concerning the annealed color design of that "Symbol" , .......I've thought over it !

I assume , that like most other spoons this one is also made of brass , ........I had tried to anneal homemade brass lures as well , but it did not work out for me , they haven't significantly changed color as heating them up .

But I just remember to have seen pictures of American vintage rifles and revolvers(could have been modern replics as well) before , that had their brass frame parts annealed to different brownish and blueish tones as well , so it must be possible as well ,...... maybe depends on the alloy ??? ???

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:43 am

I bought a complete card of a dozen Duchess lures on it over a year ago for $100 - thought it was a bargain.

I will feature it in a future column.

They were made in Melbourne from the 1950's to the late 1960's I believe.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:28 am

Jigmaster wrote:I bought a complete card of a dozen Duchess lures on it over a year ago for $100 - thought it was a bargain.

I will feature it in a future column.

They were made in Melbourne from the 1950's to the late 1960's I believe.
Would love to see them and these didn't cost too much . . . about $10 each.

Roger

clapclap thumbsupsmilie

Return to “VINTAGE METAL SPOONS / WOBBLERS / SPINNERS”