How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Re: How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

Post by Powelly » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:54 pm

I've been away for Xmas and hadn't realised that there were so many great stories building on this post.

It's great to hear how most of started from humble beginnings.

Slim's story mirrored my own experiences very closely. i just wish I could find some of my very early attempts at lure making. I managed to find a few pre-Tenterfield lures, but nothing from the pre-bandsaw days.

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slim
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Slim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Travers,

Sorry mate, all my early home mades lures from yesteryear were lost in the rivers or dams within the New England. Others I gave away to family and close friends. I still have a few that my father made - he taught me how to make them. I will try and take some photographes of his early lures made during the late 1950's or 1960's.

Slim

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:07 pm

time to get the knife out Slim thumbsupsmilie and send me some samples lol lol lol have to make sure there up to scratch lol lol lol

flintlures
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by flintlures » Thu May 05, 2011 11:17 am

Hi everyone! :)

My name is Joe Flint and I am 75 years old. I live in Queensland and I still make hand carved lures using a stanley knife and sand paper. I also make my own eyes and bibs. I mainly use White Beech timber when I can get it. I also use a bit of red cedar. Usaully I use zinc alume bibs but lately I have been experinenting with plastic bibs. I first got interested in making lures years ago in south west queensland, fishing for murry cod and yellow belly in the Barwon, Moonie and Balonne Rivers. In the early 50's we used aeroplane spinners and I started making my own out of old headlight reflectors, cutting out the blades and having then revolve around a bike spoke using beads with a treble hook covered in red wool. They worked well. I got interested in carving wooden lures when I met George Dempster in Townsville who taught me all about carving and painting wooden lures. That was about 20 years ago, I have been making them ever since. There are not a lot of my lures in circulation as I only make around 50-100 lures a year. I carve them with a stanley knife then paint them with an air brush and then cover them with a two part epoxy. Once dry I test them in someone's swimming pool if I can con them into it. I read the article last year from fishing monthly about Powell lures and realised that his technique was very similar to mine. I got my daughter to get on the internet for me to find out if there was still people who hand carved lures, and sure enough there were.. so I entered my name in the list.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 pm

welcome Joe I think you have stumbled on the lure carvers heaven mate we have a lot of carvers here and im sure you will get a great response to your post.Love to see some of your lures if you need help posting pictures or anything give me a bell mate mully@lureandmore.com

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Thu May 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Welcome Joe.

Im sure plenty of members here (myself included) would love to see and hear more about your lures. There are some very talented lure makers on this site and members with exceptional knowledge if all things lure related.

James

flintlures
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by flintlures » Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi Mully & James

Thanks for your kind words. I have just started getting back into making a few lures and I will see about getting some photo's on the web soon.

flintlures
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by flintlures » Sun May 22, 2011 9:57 am

Jimmymate,

Thanks for welcoming me to the site. I'm interested to know if you make lures? I didn't know there were so many people still carving lures and I note that most of them are old like me. For instance I see there is a man call salmon making lures at Taylor's Beach. I live in Ingham North Queensland which is about 10Km from Taylor's Beach and I hadn't heard about him till now. I'd like to meet him one day. Cheers

Joe Flint

oog663
Expert
Expert
Mood:

Post by oog663 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Welcome to the site Joe, (Fyshee) Ian Salmon would be stoked to have a chat to you, If's it's anything to do with Fishing. He spends every waking moment Fishing or thinking of it, has done for the 35 years I've known him. If you need his address just PM me.

Regards Steve
*** Neighbours Cats make nice Hats ***

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:25 pm

flintlures wrote:Hi everyone! :)

My name is Joe Flint and I am 75 years old. I live in Queensland and I still make hand carved lures using a stanley knife and sand paper. I also make my own eyes and bibs. I mainly use White Beech timber when I can get it. I also use a bit of red cedar. Usaully I use zinc alume bibs but lately I have been experinenting with plastic bibs. I first got interested in making lures years ago in south west queensland, fishing for murry cod and yellow belly in the Barwon, Moonie and Balonne Rivers. In the early 50's we used aeroplane spinners and I started making my own out of old headlight reflectors, cutting out the blades and having then revolve around a bike spoke using beads with a treble hook covered in red wool. They worked well. I got interested in carving wooden lures when I met George Dempster in Townsville who taught me all about carving and painting wooden lures. That was about 20 years ago, I have been making them ever since. There are not a lot of my lures in circulation as I only make around 50-100 lures a year. I carve them with a stanley knife then paint them with an air brush and then cover them with a two part epoxy. Once dry I test them in someone's swimming pool if I can con them into it. I read the article last year from fishing monthly about Powell lures and realised that his technique was very similar to mine. I got my daughter to get on the internet for me to find out if there was still people who hand carved lures, and sure enough there were.. so I entered my name in the list.
Joe, what a great summary of your lure making history. I never had the pleasure of meeting George Dempster, but I use to buy a lot of lures from him about 20 years ago - fantastic lures with great paint jobs!

I didn't realise that this post had a new lease of life, so it's great to see there are still a few "dinosaurs", like me, handcarving and doing everything by hand. We're a bit like the 'stone masons' of the lure world! But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm pretty glad someone actually read the Lure Making Article(s) that I put in Fishing Monthly. I was trying to inspire a new generation of lure carvers. I'd hate to see the craft die.

Cheers

Travers

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”