How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

two-bob

Re: How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

Post by two-bob » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 am

Bloody bandsaws are sharp, even the back edge. And this was just adjusting the blade whilst turned off. -duh Imagine how much damage I can do when I flick the power switch crazysmilie

PC190183.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:34 pm

G'day All,
I made a few lures 25yrs. ago or so to fish for barra, mainly just to see if they'd work. Didn't use any sophisticated timbers or paint, but I did catch barra on them, 12lb'er being the best from memory.
What I have been doing for quite a while now is, collecting any old beat up timbers from the classic makers, eg.Elliot, Hurt, Leads etc.
Lures that have lost a lot of paint and nobody wants, these are easy to find, especially in mates tackle boxes.
I've amassed a good collection which I've stripped with paint stripper, blade and sandpaper.
One day I'd like to get someone who's a top painter to give them a new state-of-the-art acrylic finish, with the airbrush that you pros use.
Would be great to see them returned to their former glory.Naturally they'd be for my own collection, as it wouldn't be fair to the original maker to swap or trade.Having said that, the ones I have are from makers no longer in production of timber lures, these are truely the classic shapes from the 80's mainly.
Regards,
Tony (Wulagi, N.T.)
"Always merry and bright"

puglee62
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by puglee62 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 am

theres a lot of pleasure to be had carving your own lures,far more than moulding them .nothing better than sitting on the verandah
on a hot afternoon with a cold beer doing the final sanding and filing on a lure you made yourself .

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:32 pm

What does suck is when you spend all that time making a lure then the first fish that slams it off the surface takes it to it's snag and wont give it back angaa > this happened today to a nice action little wake bait lure.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 am

@ two-bob

I'd still find it worse , if it would be the 3rd fish + doing this , .........more fishing catching memories to that lure and , worst of all , ALL future catch expectations buried -duh -duh -duh !

I know .........but never mind , once you'd achieve to build a better one , you'd forget about the trouble soon thumbsupsmilie !

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

SkyeWarrior
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SkyeWarrior » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 am

Bugger Al. Can't say I've had the privilege yet thubsdown Have been in Melbourne since Xmas eve. Mehinks I've forgotten what a bass looks like. Was she a good one?
Stevo
Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here!!!

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:41 am

It was the best surface hit of the day. Cast to a 50cm wide log 1mt out from the bank sticking just out of the water almost flat with the water creating the perfect cover for the fish and the lure flew true and landed perfectly just an inch from the log before 1 crank of the handle and water was thrown everywhere, the rod tip was pulled down hard before flinging back with no weight to hold it, yes it was a good fish -duh

I was just thinking before it happened what a nice action the lure had and I was happy with the paintjob and eye's and was going to give it to a mate to keep. Guess the fish wanted it more. I did wait for 10mins at that snag to see if it would pop back up too.

SkyeWarrior
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SkyeWarrior » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:49 am

censored censored censored

Making me a little green mate droolsmilie
Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here!!!

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 am

Just to have 1 more dig then Steve, I was fishing with Josh off AusBass and yesterday was a pretty average day for us on this stretch with I guess around 20 fish landed for the day (4 in 8 casts whilst stretching the yak legs on the bank). I did say to Josh, we are spoilt up here and we just need to remember that the Sydney boys would love a 10 fish day nahnah

If you get up here then let me know and we can take you out. There really are some magical spots we have found and as I have spent my time down on the C-Coast and Sydney chasing Bass I appreciate it all the more.

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:42 pm

two-bob wrote:Bloody bandsaws are sharp, even the back edge. And this was just adjusting the blade whilst turned off. -duh Imagine how much damage I can do when I flick the power switch crazysmilie

PC190183.JPG
Is there a Government agency that protects people from themselves??

Yep. the RSPCA lol lol crazysmilie farter

You dopey bugger, Alistair. Don't you know there are some things that you just don't tell other people blahblah

Just a flesh wound. Nothing a bandaid won't fix.

Travers

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”