How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

Powelly
tradie
tradie

How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

Post by Powelly » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 pm

I was chatting to Darren Mitten a month or so ago and he said that there weren't many people still hand carving lures. I disagreed and suggested that there were probably still a lot of smaller "cottage industry" lure makers who would still use the basic tools of Stanley knife and sanding block to create their range of lures.

In the 20+ years that I have been hand carving timber lures, I wouldn't have produced any more than, maybe, 200-300 lures in any one year. These days I have less time on my hands, so production has dropped to 100-200 lures per year. Despite me making lures for over 20 years, I doubt that there are too many of my lures in people's lure collections. Most people that buy my lures are ordinary fishermen and the limited numbers made make them less likely to turn up in a lure collection. In fact, many of the lures are probably attached to sunken trees in Glen Lyon Dam or on snags in the Tenterfield Creek, Mole River, Deepwater River or Macleay River.

Anyhow, the discussion that I had with Darren got me wondering just how many luremakers are still hand carving lures (not using a linisher sander or copy lathe) using a carving knife and sanding block. Might be an interesting project for someone to put a list together.

Hand carving lures certainly makes little sense. It's slow and inconsitent and the money paid for the lures barely represents a quarter of their value, when the labour is added - but we still do it.
Must be mad. iidiot

Creating lures using a copy lathe makes far more sense. It's quicker, greater numbers of lures can be turned out and the lures should all be identical - the perfect fishing lure.

Cheers

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diemai
Master
Master

Re: How many lure makers still hand carve lures?

Post by diemai » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:00 pm

@ Powelly

I'm using power tools to shape my lures , ......like a disc sander , a hobby routing machine(for the lipslots and to narrow wood boards) , a lathe (for round bodied lures) and a "Dremel" (for coarse sanding and to make eye holes) , only the fine sanding I do with my two hands .

But I still do consider my lures as handmade , though carving purists may certainly disagree .

When I started out making my first timber lures about almost 15 years ago , I also utilized carpet knife and sandpaper only , ........to get faster in proccessing , I got myself all of those power tools one by one back then .

Not to gain a higher output for selling them(usually I don't sell) , but just to be able to work down all of my different lure ideas a bit faster to get ready for the next one crazysmilie lol !

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

lure crazy
Guru
Guru

Post by lure crazy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Template to trace out the side and top profile, cut to shape with a scroll saw, then sanded with 80 grit sand paper, then 120 grit, then dipped in dope to seal! yay farter
Beginner or pro, doesent matter how good you are, fishings a gambling game. Put your lure in the right place at the right time and it will get smashed!
Image "CLICK THE BANNER FOR THE NEW WEBSITE"

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:33 pm

diemai wrote:@ Powelly

I'm using power tools to shape my lures , ......like a disc sander , a hobby routing machine(for the lipslots and to narrow wood boards) , a lathe (for round bodied lures) and a "Dremel" (for coarse sanding and to make eye holes) , only the fine sanding I do with my two hands .

But I still do consider my lures as handmade , though carving purists may certainly disagree .

greetz , diemai howdy
I agree with diemai, that the machine-aided timber lures are hand made, but possibly not quite as hand made as hand carving - maybe, "machine-aided hand made". spbx .
As far as I'm concerned all timber lures are great to fish with. I've got a mate who shapes his lures with a linisher sander. He can shape a lure quicker than I can draw the carving lines on one of my blanks. Hand carving is the slowest and least efficient method of making a lure, so it almost becomes an obsessive hobby rather than an income supplement.

I wasn't trying to create arguments and divisions pokeystix between methods of producing timber lures, just wondering how many "dinosaurs & stone masons" there were out there who still carve lures the prehistoric way.

As lure collectors and obsessed lure fisherman, I thought that it would be interesting to get together a data base of luremakers who still hand carve lures. Nothing more than that.

Cheers

Travers

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Awesome idea mate ill make this a sticky topic for those wishing to add thier talent to the list ,,,thanks for the great idea

lofty
tradie
tradie

Post by lofty » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Lofty here, from Esoteric Lures, its very interesting on how we start making lures, a jig saw and a grinder in the pre dawn, then a "hot I think " band saw, it was cheap, maybe too cheap but money was tight all those years ago. Then came the belt sander with the disc on the side, what a wonder ,to this day that's what I use, I cut the shape profile then shape it into a lure on the belt, hand sand it till it looks symetrical, thats how I do mine, 1983 from memeroy is when I first started selling lures and I believe my lures are what I call them, Hand Crafted Wooden Lures. Travis I understand the question you have asked but, we do our craft the way it seems right to us. Keep up the good work Travis you are a legend.
Regards Lofty.
Image ESOTERIC LURES

theduke
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by theduke » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes Travers there is still a few of the “dinosaurs” out there carving lures by hand and yes I am still doing battle with the Stanley knife and sand paper and would not have it any other way at the moment, and as a very wise lure maker once told me “you will always catch more fish on timber lures than plastic”…… thumbsupsmilie

Cheers
Tom
Gidgee

Got Buckley's
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Got Buckley's » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:19 pm

I take enough skin off using my sanders let alone only using a stanley knife lol

When I started out I was using all hand tools and a sanding block, bloody hard work indeed, I just dont have that sort of patience. But its not about using powered tools to knock out as many as possible, more about using my spare time between work, family and fishing, to make sure next time I do get out on the water that I have a few in my tacklebox ready to go thumbsupsmilie

I have sold a few lures now but what I make would not even go close to cover the time that goes into them. So Travers,Heath and Tom I could only imagine the coin that your lures would be worth if they were sold by the hour rate $$$$$ $$$$$ $$$$$ $$$$$

cheers
Buck
Buckley's Lures
Queanbeyan NSW

www.youtube.com/user/BuckleysLures

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Buck, feel like these are even more precious now, knowing what's gone into their making .... appreciate it and love em, thanks thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Powelly wrote:This can't be right ??? Surely there must be more than Tom and I trying to reduce the number of fingers on our hands.

Don't let Mitto win this one. There has to be at least 100 lure carvers in Australia. If Darren starts carving again, we only have to find another 97!

Travers
Although I wouldn't consider myself a very good lure maker and don't sell any . . . give me a Stanley knife or smaller surgical blade, a couple of sanding blocks and I'm happy for hours or until my hand cramps and fingers without fingerprints. Sometimes I will use a belt sander to get a particular shape but still consider these lures to be truly handmade. There is something special about these lures, their action and the love that has been poured into every hand made lure. As Travers pointed out why bother? Its not for the money!! So we are down to 96

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”