Flattie on a home made

MXB
Master
Master

Flattie on a home made

Post by MXB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:12 am

Hi all . . .

Well got up keen this morning and was on the water before 6am to fish from the kayak and targeting flathead at my favourite estuary in Sydney. So I had convinced myself that soft plastics were the way to go and hit my favourite sandy bottoms and edges of weedbanks. Nothing . . . not even a touch.

Stuff this I thought so changed it up and started using lures. Put on this lure I made a while back from cedar with a basic paint job but a really vigorous wide body action.

This was the result . . . a nice 50cm or so flattie otherwise known as dinner thumbsupsmilie

Who said ugly, square shaped home made lures don't work ???
phpBW7tO9PM.jpg
phpdcJlocPM.jpg
phpCVYHV1PM.jpg
MXB
howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Rupe
Master
Master

Re: Flattie on a home made

Post by Rupe » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:51 am

nice lizard....not too many fish better for chewing than a fresh flattie

well done clapclap
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

SkyeWarrior
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SkyeWarrior » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Nice one - semi-nude???. Looks like you were smart enough to jump out and land it of the shore thumbsupsmilie First fish I ever caught in my kayak was a 70 cm odd lizard - no net, grips or glove. Guess what donkey tried to sit it on his lap to pop the jighead out when she went off. Nearly cost me any future progeny -duh -duh -duh
Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here!!!

loomis
Expert
Expert

Post by loomis » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Having just had the similar experience myself, I can honestly say well done! clapclap clapclap

Its a great feeling to know you have created something that actually works.

Leigh.
aussbasstony wrote: Hey Brolly,
But i do like your Bums mate smckin lol

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:23 pm

SkyeWarrior wrote:Nice one - semi-nude???. Looks like you were smart enough to jump out and land it of the shore thumbsupsmilie First fish I ever caught in my kayak was a 70 cm odd lizard - no net, grips or glove. Guess what donkey tried to sit it on his lap to pop the jighead out when she went off. Nearly cost me any future progeny -duh -duh -duh
If I have the chance I'll head to shore to land the bigger fish as they cause too many damage . . . I 've landed fish to 75cm this way.

Yes lure is semi nude . . . nude back showing knot in the timber.
loomis wrote:Having just had the similar experience myself, I can honestly say well done! clapclap clapclap

Its a great feeling to know you have created something that actually works.

Leigh.
Thanks Leigh . . . just remembered to take the camera this time!!

It is good to get them on your own creations and the lure outfished soft plastics today because I normally get a couple on the plastics. thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Congrats on your catch on a homemadie , Roger ...........a very interesting lure by the way , ..........at least for Europeans lol !

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi all . . .

Managed this fish today from the kayak that went 1.6 kg on a homemade lure - second generation of the one first posted;

This lure is about 100mm incl. bib and made from silky oak (Casuarina spp) and actually sinks slowly and is worked super slow in deeper water along the bank edges and weed banks.

And yes . . . I head to the bank with these fish

MXB

howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:03 pm

@ MXB

Nice fish again , Roger thumbsupsmilie , ..........but I 'd like to know , why you need to go ashore with your yak to land the fish , .........by the size of your lure I can figure out , that the flattie is about 75 cms in length , ........anything dangerous about handling them ?

tight lines , ....greetz , Dieter howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:23 pm

@diemai . . .

Serious spikes on either side of the head and top dorsal pretty nasty too + they tend to thrash head from side to side.

I carry a net but have found it easier to ease the fish to shore while getting out of the kayak in the shallow water. If I'm a long way from shore I will lip grab them but bigger ones shred the skin on my fingers!!

Anyway safety first . . . if you have a close look at the photos you may be able to see the spikes - there are actually three spikes close together on each side of the widest point of the head. Sort of hidden in a flap of skin/sinew.

MXB

howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:43 pm

@ MXB

.............thanks for info , Roger , .......I see point in beaching those flatties now , .......concerning bruised fingers , maybe such tool might help :

http://www.eastabogatackle.com/

I do not have one , as in my little boat there's enough room for a decent net , ......but fishing from a yak it could be quite useful , I guess , ........doesn't take much space and can be secured with an approbiate lanyard .

greetz , Dieter howdy

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING LURE CATCHES fishing pictures”