flounder on lures

anselmo
Expert
Expert
Location: Dublin, Ireland, was Bris-vegas www.themostabsoluteuselessbuggeraround.com

flounder on lures

Post by anselmo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:56 am

Ok looking for some advice

march through may is flounder season here
apart from a micro flounder 2 years ago (see pic), i haven't managed one

if anyone has been getting them on lures are there any tips/lures that they would care to share?

nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick
aka "The Irreverent Angler"

Raison d'etre

Redback Tackle Solutions discount for lureandmore members. PM for details
My fishing t-shirts for sale

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Re: flounder on lures

Post by fishaholiclures » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:11 am

Nick,
I get grabbed by Flounder quite regularly when casting small divers for Flatties. I haven't targeted them as a species, always more of a bycatch proposition, but I suppose the principles are the same. I know Flatties will reposition themselves laterally to ambush a lure, haven't seen Flounder do the same, but having said that the Flounder usually come from the deeper side of channel walls.

The Flounder over there would get larger than thier antipodean cousins, I think they are related to the Halibut, and those buggers get to the 100lb+ size in the Atlantic.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

SkyeWarrior
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SkyeWarrior » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:10 am

Plastics always seem to do it for me, although I haven't cracked a pattern yet. Usually 70mm Fish/80mm Wrigglers do it, although my missus nailed one on 7inch Gulp once. yay
Stevo
Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here!!!

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:34 am

@ anselmo

I do not know much about saltwater fishing , but this seems to be a very common method for active fishing on flounder around here on the Baltic Sea .

http://www.bigcatchtv.de/video/uxb_Der-Buttl-ffel

I have seen these special spoons in many tackle shops here in Northern Germany , even held one in my hands , .....made from very thick stainless steel , ......these things are HEAVY !

The rig you can see in the video , don't need to understand German for it , .......the guy there says , that you can simply cast it out from the beach or a boat , let it drop to bottom and then jig it gently back in , only move your rod for 50cms .

The spoon(named "Butt-Löffel" , "flounder-spoon" in English) would then flutter back to bottom , the bottom current would let the bait stay at about level to the spoon .

So that spoon acts as an attractor and also a sinker the same time !

Not quite genuine lurefishing , but the only lure-related method over here , that I have heard of .

There are other sinker set-ups for flounder around , rigged with floating beads and props in fancy colors + bait , .......but these are kept stationary on bottom , just waiting until a flounder finds the bait !

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

brenton
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by brenton » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 pm

I have caught plenty of flounder on the 3" minnow grubs in Pumpkinseed on 1/24 or 1/16th jigheads and a few on strike pro blades both using the slow lift and drop technique,none on Hb despite probably swimming them the most.
cheers brenton
ImageS/P
Imagevibe

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 am

I caught one years ago in Australia using the method Deiter described. I used to flick the old Wonder Wobblers 1 1/2 or 2oz size along the sandy bottom beaches and bays for flathead around the Central Coast. Worked good but never really targeted flounder.

I reckon the SP techniques would work best like other members have suggested and used.

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING LURE CATCHES fishing pictures”