Field Report - Lofty's 'Canal Prototype'

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Field Report - Lofty's 'Canal Prototype'

Post by Lure-Nut » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:06 pm

I hope Lofty doesn't mind me posting a field report on initial testing of a lure specifically built for the Gold Coast canals. The inspiration came from Lofty posting some of his more recently made lures and I asked him whether he could produce a 6cm version of his Shrimp shape, weighing 5-6gm that would work just below the surface at a medium fast retrieve.

I was looking for a hybrid between a Sammy and a Wander with the target species being Tarpon, Giant Herring, GT's, Jacks etc in the canals thumbsupsmilie.

Anyway the first 2 prototypes arrived late today and had different weight trebles as supplied (see pics). This gave the option for one lure to sink while the other was a floater .... we will do some more experimentation with the trebles and treble weights to get the versatility of a sinking and a floating option working. I opted for an Owner upgrade for initial testing as time was limited and surface fishing was what we were targeting. The sinking option will be great for midday and will allow the lures to be counted down and worked through the water column.

Anyway, I just had to give them a test swim with a hour or so of daylight left .... seriously, 4 small Trevally on the first 10 casts off the pontoon, then I'm back up to change the hooks and push off in Andy's tinny for a quick hour before dusk yay

In total between Andy and myself we probably boated 20 mixed Big Eyes and GT's albeit rather small but great fun for an hour before the mozzies beat us back. We unsuccessfully chased a Tarpon school around on dusk, Andy was 'blown away' by something, but no bigger beasties were landed - just hope the fresh water stays away as the canals are full of shrimp and the predators will follow if not flushed out !!!

I've gotta say I'm really impressed by the early indications, the action is great and it can be retrieved in a sub-surface 'walk the dog' fashion or just 'skitted' along breaking the sub-surface. Both retrieves were successful, in fact the sub-surface skittering retrieve was good value, as plenty of times Trevally continually chased the lure across the surface till hooked lol

The lures also sat tail down in the water and I reckon could be an effective big bream lure wwnk

We were using a Loomis DSR822S and a Strudwick TPS loaded with 10lb PE braid - these lures cast like little bullets and look like they will really be the go up here. I have another batch coming very soon and will work with Lofty to make these absolute gems for the canals or tight waterways where a slightly smaller lure presentation is required thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Lofty .... early indications are great, many thanks howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Field Report - Lofty's 'Canal Prototype'

Post by simon bruce » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Couldn't think of a better way to spend an afternoon, those small trevally are fearless and good fun on the light gear.

The lures look great.

An enjoyable read but yet another lure to chase up.

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Simon, must say it was a great day .... on holidays, played a round of golf with Andy this morning then had some fun with the Trevally late in the afternoon - even had some Deceptions turn up in the mail to cap it off lol

One thing I didn't mention above is the quality finish on Lofty's lures .... absolutely top notch - as they need to be to match some of the beasties in the canals thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Well done Rob & Andy i'll have to get a few of those once the field testing is complete.
clapclap clapclap

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Excellent day of fishing . . . I'm jealous as I used to live on the canals 10-15 years ago and catch the tarpon on fly . . .

Any schools of firespot queenies about??

Probably a big trevally that blew you away as I caught a few of the black spot trevally (not sure of the exact name of these) up to 4-5 kg in Tallebudgera Creek canals.

Well done clapclap clapclap

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Mate ... heaps of little queenies around, just don't tell the Marlin boys wwnk

Wish they were a little bigger though, got spoilt in Sept up North and suddenly the Queenies here look like babies -duh lol
Cheers Rob

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Guys I have watched Lofty develop these little wonders, and he is like a kid in a lolly shop, and brolly don't wait until feild testing is done, order them now, they work and look good at the same time...Nev

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:36 pm

neb wrote:Guys I have watched Lofty develop these little wonders, and he is like a kid in a lolly shop, and brolly don't wait until feild testing is done, order them now, they work and look good at the same time...Nev

Gotta second you there Nev ... not only do they look the goods, but the action is awesome and so far results are very positive thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 am

Went out for a quick cast of Lofty's canal prototype, definitely excited by their potential. Caught a few little Queenies and Bream, but lost 2 Tarpon -duh

Roger, is this what you mean by a Firespot Queenie in the pic ???

The Tarpon at the moment are frustrating .... they boil on the surface, backs and tails out of the water then disappear within 5 seconds - you have to be on the spot and ready to cast -duh -duh

Had to came back in, damn wind came up and made it hard to track the schools - might get up earlier tomorrow morning, but then again, I'm still on holidays lol lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Rob

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:36 pm

@Lurenut . . .

That looks like them . . . I have always known them as Firespot queenies because as they mature they get small red markings down the lateral lines (an oldtimer told me thats what they are called but could be wrong). The smaller ones will just be predominantly silver and fish will be between 1-3kg. Good fun to catch and they school up in deeper water but heaps of smaller ones between the bigger ones.

I didn't catch tarpon regularly in there until I used radically fast retrieves . . . as fast as you can really. I learnt by mistake one evening on dusk trolling a small weighted epoxy fly from the back of the canoe paddling as fast as I could go (becauase I was running late) and got monstered by a small tarpon that went nearly 4kg and dragged me around the canal for nearly half an hour. Maybe speed is the thing. I changed my view of slower retrieves forever in the canals of Currumbin and Tallebudgera Creeks especially at dusk and dawn. They tarpon will throw hooks everytime if not on the bite . . . maybe look at a single hook configuration instead of trebles . . . just a thought

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING LURE CATCHES fishing pictures”