Gold Coast Canals

ropes.basstard
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Gold Coast Canals

Post by ropes.basstard » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks I might just take you up on that offer.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Androidz0 wrote:
Mully wrote:Awesome fish mate looks like a top spot for a fish clapclap

Mully, the canals here have an awesome number of species for such a populated area. To date we've managed 15-20 odd species on lures thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Andrew
Well done . . . I used to fish from a canoe in the canals of the Gold Coast too. Also lived on Tallebudgera and Currumbin Creeks. In all of these water systems I caught small tarpon (up to 4 -5kg), numerous species of hard fighting trevally (biggest 5kg on small epoxy trolling flies), fire spot queenfish to a kilo, jacks, and many other species as you are proving. To target the larger tarpon and giant herring and exotic trevallies you will need to increase your retrieve or troll rate to warp speed factor 5 and you will notice an increase in size and types of fish.

I first noticed this when returning on dark one night and was in a rush and was paddling as fast as I could (I had a small heavy epoxy fly/lure out the back) when I got smashed up and hit by an unknown fish that had obvious power. After an initial hard deep run the fish came to the surface jumped hard then went deep again. I landed an 8-9 lb (4kg) Tarpon after being towed around for about 15 minutes on 3kg mono . . . my first ever and was blown away. After this accident I regularly hit these fish + giant herrring + spotted trevally on the fastest troll speed, retrieve or stripping of line I could muster.

Fire spot queenies also reponded to a fast retrieve and would be the by-catch if my retrieves were too slow.

Enjoy . . . looks like you are sussing out the fisheries up there and you will catch quality fish day after day.

MXB

clapclap howdy clapclap
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 pm

stop bloody teasing ya mongrels droolsmilie smckin smckin smckin lol

tacklerat
Expert
Expert

Post by tacklerat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:44 pm

droolsmilie nice jack,wish I could get them down here they are here but not having any joy luring them out of there homes as yet,cheers

Androidz0
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Androidz0 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Yea, you cant beat the jack season up here...
Unfortunatly they're always a bit quiet over winter though... NONO
I cant wait for the upcoming season, should only be another 2/3 months till their up here again...

yay yay

Andrew

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING LURE CATCHES fishing pictures”