Abrolhos Dhufish

simon bruce
Master
Master

Abrolhos Dhufish

Post by simon bruce » Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Just back from the Abrolhos, this Western Australian Dhufish on a Lucanus jig.
Day3 Dhuie.JPG

Same rig accounted for a few more dhuies as well as baldching and snapper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Abrolhos Dhufish

Post by simon bruce » Wed May 13, 2009 5:00 am

Dave

Shimano make them they are like the Bay Rubbers or Octajigs a lead head with a fairly minimal rubber skirt.
Dhuies are rated fairly high on the eating stakes and I reckon rightly so.

Baldchin Groper are a large wrasse that are good on the chew as well as fight hard.

Initial few minutes of the fight are the hairiest once they are up a bit their swim bladder tends to go but they will still put up a decent slugging match, the lucanus jigs have relatively small but sharp hooks so have to bea bit aware. Undersize fish are released using a weight to lower them back to depth this aids their recovery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tackle tragic

Post by Tackle tragic » Fri May 15, 2009 3:38 pm

nice work Simon.....I heard the baldie numbers up there are insane......not sure why they are concerned with protecting them considering they are stuffed once they are pulled from deeper than 20m and just float off buggered if you release them.

Bullrout....dont need to be in deep water to catch dhufish or baldies.....my PB dhu was 18kg out of 10m of water (on KG whiting gear mind you)....baldies live right upto the intertidal zone.....crew catch them off the beach of unweighted black rock crabs.....and they go nuts busting most anglers off in the first 5 seconds of being hooked. -busted

Tackle tragic

Post by Tackle tragic » Fri May 15, 2009 3:52 pm

baldies are classed as tuskfish...and there is a few different types over here
metro baldie.JPG
Barotrauma.JPG
rosy.JPG
Blackspot Tuskfish.JPG
Blue bone.JPG
fisho brad bell photo blue bone.JPG

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Fri May 15, 2009 4:18 pm

awesome stuff mate great lure catches clapclap and top piccys

Tackle tragic

Post by Tackle tragic » Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 pm

second pictured down shows the symptoms of barotrauma ....eyes and bum hanging out.

not good

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Fri May 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Baldies were around but not as many as last year when they were in plague proportions.

Even the ones under 20m were a bit knackered.

Got some nice coral trout interestingly I didn't get any on the jig I was using which was chartreuse/white but the guys either side got them on orange/white.

Plenty of bait but not a great deal of surface activity and nothing in the mackerel department apart form a sharkie I lost boatside. Got a few hookups but they didn't like wire so going without was succesful but brief.

Tackle tragic

Post by Tackle tragic » Fri May 15, 2009 4:45 pm

yeh...old baldie dont do that well coming up.

good to hear that you got some good fish though.....long way to go for a donut.

weird about the low mackerel numbers considering the metro fishing has been the best for years...another 28kg fish behind 5fathom bank this week...

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Fri May 15, 2009 6:22 pm

They were there, in big numbers but despite a bit of trolling nothing bar a few stripies.

Got into feeding birds a few times but schools of baitfish were not balled up, a few fish feeding but a bit casual.

Stopped in a couple fo places and could see schools of macks under the boat but they were only interested in stuff without wire.

Was a full moon but....

Tackle tragic

Post by Tackle tragic » Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 pm

the buggers are too well fed.... -duh

forgot about the recent moon.....good point
It was good a few days before the full inshore NOR

there is always next time

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING LURE CATCHES fishing pictures”