Yesterday we've still been together....(lol)!

diemai
Master
Master

Yesterday we've still been together....(lol)!

Post by diemai » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 pm

G'day , folks ,

Last Sunday I've found a very heavy stainless steel table spoon on a fleamarket .

Took me about 30 minutes of work to get two lures out of it and only cost me 20 €cents plus material thumbsupsmilie !

This table spoon was made from unusual thick sheet , at its front end it measures 1,6mm , at the rear even 3,3mm ,...... I've had a hard time to beat down the pronounced cupping of the table spoon with a heavy plastic hammer , and I could only bend the front portion upward a bit by clamping it in a vise and also beat it hard with that hammer to finally bend .

Usually such table spoons are stamped from thinner sheet , which makes decreasing its cupping far easier , but from this thick spoon's handle I could also make a jigging spoon , which otherwise would have turned out to be too light made from "ordinary" table spoons .

Many lure tinkerers might have started out making casting spoons from table spoons by just cutting off the handle and rig hook and swivel , ........I also did , .......but I find the table spoons cupping to be too deep , thus the spoons always turn over and swim reverse side downward on a faster retrieve pace , don't like that action !

That's why I nowadays always narrow the sides of a table spoon and decrease the cupping to render the shape and action more to a "real" casting spoon !

I've put this table spoon into the typical "EffZett" shape , but also "shoehorn" and "willowleaf" styles could be furnished , but this requires more shaping work , as the side edges of such spoons are rather curved compared to this one .

greetz , diemai howdy
TASPO_01.JPG
TASPO_02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

laz
Guru
Guru

Re: Yesterday we've still been together....(lol)!

Post by laz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Nice spoons Diemai . Does your missus hide the cutlery from you ??? lol

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:32 pm

laz wrote:Nice spoons Diemai . Does your missus hide the cutlery from you ??? lol
There was a guy in Australia that cut down and re-shaped old cutlery, drilled a hole here and there and made them into lures. He used quality old cutlery and utensils and made some quality products that were named individually, then attached to card and sold.

They were called Richard's spoons or lures and he would use all parts of the utensil . . . got a couple somewhere but would need to search!!

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:47 pm

@ laz

Thanks , mate.......I remember , that once I wanted one from the kitchen drawer , but I've asked permission............ lol !

Usually I get them from fleamarkets , they sell heaps of such stuff there for little money .

@ MXB

These "Richard's Spoons"do sound very interesting to me , always could use some input for my own lure making ............if you'd dig them up some day ,......... maybe you'd post a picture ??

Thanks again , mates , ..........greetz ,diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”