"Appeal of Steel"

diemai
Master
Master

"Appeal of Steel"

Post by diemai » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi , folks ,

Not that much to do at my work in the metal industry presently , so I took a chance to(partly) shape a couple of casting spoons there , as working with stainless steel sheet requires industrial grade tooling , can't easily be done at home only .

I like fishing spoons quite a bit due to their casting abilities , also many models run pretty deep along the bottom .

But since I have started fishing more shallower waters recently , I wanted spoons that would also cast pretty well but run reasonably shallow .

Also had an idea on my mind for a long time about "clickers" to rig on a spoon for generating sound ,.... took a chance on first trials and finally I got to a functioning method of rigging these to one of my spoon models .

Only fishing over here is pretty slow these days , got different and unusual weathers every second day , something , that locks up their mouths ,..... I am waiting for autumn , things should work out better then , it happened to be the same last year as well !

greetz , diemai howdy
CRESPOSIZ_01.JPG
CREASPOO_02.JPG
CLISPODO_01.JPG
CLISPODO_02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Re: "Appeal of Steel"

Post by hazmail » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Nice work Diemai, that little 'clapper' is a great idea. Are those patterns tape or is the s/s etched and painted? Pete

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:19 pm

@ hazmail

Thanks , Pete , ......actually all of these spoons are machine polished on my lathe and decorated with adhesive foil , some are heated to red glow with a soldering torch after polishing to achieve that certain blue/brown/purple color(clearly visible at the center spoon of the three differently sized "Creature Spoons") .

The foil cut-outs require some inward cuts along their circumference , so they can be applied on the curved spoon planes without folding up to cause blemishes on their surface .
Most of these foils hold up pretty well , I have thrown such decorated spoons for several seasons without any trouble of it coming off ,....... and if it does , it only takes a few minutes to clean off with a strong solvent and re-decorate .

But I am also painting my spoons on ocassion , for the paint to adhere well on the metal , the surfaces to be painted have to be buffed thoroughly with 40 grit sandpaper or even better ,......... I'd sandblast them at my work !

greetz , Dieter howdy

Baz

Post by Baz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Great looking spoons Diemai, very professional thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 am

send a few over mate id like a few for my collection very very nice work clapclap bowsmilie

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Awesome Dieter love them droolsmilie .You said you are painting the odd spoon have you ever thought trying enameling them or acid etching them we use to do this with copper in art class at high school .Love your work mate clapclap .Catch ya

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:12 pm

@ all

Thanks a lot for your kind words , mates ,... much appreciated !

@ Mully

Didn't know , that some guys also do collect homemadies ! Would be quite costly to mail them , .....guess , that I have maybe 50 pounds of spoons down the basement , more than half homemade !
My armory constantly increases , since I grew the habit , to build three new ones for each(proven)one lost !

Can this be normal ???? ??? droolsmilie crazysmilie -duh

@ laz

I had some brief thoughts on enamelling before , but I guess , that it would be even more complicated than painting , .......and you need a kind of stove for it , I guess ?(the missus would kill me , since I only have the one stove in kitchen ......)

And I won't like to put TOO much work on spoons(actually even only the shaping is quite elaborate on stainless steel sheet) , those metal lures are amongst the kind of lures , that are subject to the highest chances of snagging and loss .

I can finish them in several ways , anyway ,.........plain polished , sandblasted for dull appearance , annealed for blue color , plating with flexible scale foil , applying reflective foil , color painting and plating with metal glitter chips , ........I am sure , that powder painting(like jig heads) would also be possible , but since a stove would also be required for best results(remember the missus) , I haven't bothered to try it !

Actually spoons and spinners were my first handmade lures , started out with these maybe more than 15 years ago , as I work in the metal industry and I get the material for free from the work's scrabyard .

Some days ago I have made my first video with my little cheap camera , showing a bath tub test , and managed to put it on "youtube"(I am quite a computer dummy) , .....it turned out to be of very , very bad quality , as I have failed to open the curtains of my bathroom and also the two bulbs in there obviously do not provide enough light for filming .

Anyway , but it displays , what I intended to show , .........it is the above pictured model "Mouse Spoon" with it's clickers rigged , .....if you listen closely , you can clearly hear the sound generated .

greetz , Dieter howdy

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Dieter i love the action of that lure mate. Its klike its alive .Catch ya

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:19 am

i tried to enhance the video but it become very grainy sorry i couldnt help....

but as mentioned looks alive great action thumbsupsmilie

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Thank ya , mates bowsmilie !

In fact these "Mouse Spoons" are amongst my most difficult models , .........it's cupping has to be made very accurate , it does nor forgive much divergence to provide satisfying action .

But on the other hand it's the only spoon model , that I know , that can still manage hook attachements without losing too much of its wobble or flutter ,.........found out about this accidentally with a bare hook prototype model , when I hooked a condom swimming in a Hamburg city canal , ......even with this attachment the spoon still worked well yay .

After I started to rig them with these cord tails ,.......plastic worms or grubs would also work , I suppose , but I don't like attaching such too much , as the chemical softeners of the plastics could affect stick-on foils and/or painted lures , if stored together for a longer period of time , ..........had messes inside my boxes one or two times before , ...that's enough -duh -duh !

@ Mully

Thanks for trying to improve that video bowsmilie , ....but you cannot wake up a dead man , can ya ??? ?

Thanks , Dieter howdy

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”