swagman jumbuck lures

Swagman Lures
ben1185
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: swagman jumbuck lures

Post by ben1185 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 pm

oldfish wrote:My story on Swagman Lures.

John Laws was a newsagent in Kerang Vic and started Lawsys Lures (I have a Rippa in a Kerang packet)

Moved to Albury trading as Swagman Lures (not sure when) The current owner,Paul,was a mate.

Sold to someone in Canberra (I have a Whiplash and a 60mm Jumbuck in Fyshwick ACT packets)

Then sold back to Paul in Albury (I would say at least 8 years ago going by the Swagman website)

Lawsy is now deceased I think.

Jim
Couple of corrections to this.

"John Law" was shire secretary at Nathalia in the 80s/early 90s. He started out making handcrafted timber fishing lures, later he had moulds made and the lures were made by a manufacturer when demand outgrew supply capabilities.
He moved to Kerang and was shire secretary there and later moved to Swan Hill and ran tattslotto/newsagency. And later moved to Wodonga.

He was in a business partnership with "Kevin Keating" from wodonga (not Paul Keating) although Paul may have been a nickname amongst some in those days.

The swagman range of lures were originally designed by John and hand made from timber.

The barra/big barra range of lures were bought by Lawsy from Reidy's lures in the early 90's and renamed Lawsy's lures.

In 1999/2000ish the business was sold to a guy in Albury. And I don't know what happened with the business after that.

In 2002 Lawsy passed away from a heart attack.

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 am

Thank you for that.It is really good to finally get the proper story on John Law.

(We did have lots of little bits,out of order and a bit confused)

Cheers,Jim

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 pm

yeah thank you very much appreciated

Return to “Swagman Lures”