Re: swagman jumbuck lures

Post by Mully » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks Fizza thumbsupsmilie

Bigriver
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re:

Post by Bigriver » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Mully wrote:I sent an email to Paul from swagman lures to ask if they had any connections to lively lures so I await some background info hopefully...
Ill post up my findings.
I think you will find that Paul Dolan from Lively Lures made their bodies early on (and plenty of others). I seem to remember meeting the guys behind Swagman lures many years ago at a Mulwala comp. John Laws was one of them, I could be wrong but I swear he had a partner or a mate with him called Paul Keating, not taking the piss either. Both no relation to the real ones.

Fizza

Re: Re:

Post by Fizza » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 pm

Bigriver wrote:
Mully wrote:I sent an email to Paul from swagman lures to ask if they had any connections to lively lures so I await some background info hopefully...
Ill post up my findings.
I think you will find that Paul Dolan from Lively Lures made their bodies early on (and plenty of others). I seem to remember meeting the guys behind Swagman lures many years ago at a Mulwala comp. John Laws was one of them, I could be wrong but I swear he had a partner or a mate with him called Paul Keating, not taking the &%*&^ either. Both no relation to the real ones.
Paul, if you're talking about the Invitational Classics Lawsy had his Dad with him in 93, 94 & 95. I spoke with him quite a lot & had to bribe him with a Lefty Kray video to do some custom colours for me.

Bigriver
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Bigriver » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah that is the comp I was thinking of, Just had a look on the Puter mug I got, it was 95, I can still remember Starlo cracking up tell me that luremakers were taking over the country, what with John Laws and Paul Keating getting in on the act. Or marybe it is combination of too much beer and paint fumes? Cheers Paul.

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Even funnier was starlo bitching to a mate & myself that he hadn't & didn't know how to catch cod at Mulwalla. Couldn't sus the lake he said.

He finally cracked a fish in 94 or 5 but went fishless in 93. Luaghed me censored off.

Lawsy did the special colours for me & laughed his tits off at the time saying they'd never catch fish. 6 months later i was some in a Melb tackle shop.

Lawsy did some for himself, caught fish & put them into production.

Bloody good bloke & his Dad who I'd imagine is no onger with us. {only guessing on that}

chuckabugatem
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by chuckabugatem » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:39 am

Guys

Any of this stuff on the market with a neat seem line down the middle made from Urethane and engraved naming on the belly is nine times out of ten made or at some time been made by Alan Dolan of Lively Lures.

The mainstay of his business for the past 20 years has been making bodies for other lure makers and his own range of Barra and saltwater stuff.
The little lure you have there Mully is definately a Lively made lure.
Alan makes the Micro Mullet and Mini Micro now that is identical only stumpier than the one you have.
The amount of lure makers Alan has made bodies for and still is making for is incredible and a hell of a lot of the most famous Aussie stuff we know well today has at some stage passed through his hands. not all but A LOT !
I talk with Alan regularly and am going on a couple of days fishing with him in August so I will squeeze him for as much lure info as I can while I have him stuck in the boat.

I think Jumbuck lures has been up for sale now for a while if the info I recieved was correct.

JD
I live with fear, but sometimes she lets me go fishing !

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:43 pm

I think you'll find these are made by Alan Dolan along with nearly every injected lure in the country. He owns Lively Lures.
Tagged and Released

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:37 am

HI guys,
As JD has said, Its quite possible Alan Dolan (owns Lively Lures, brother of Paul Dolan the guide in Hervey Bay) was making the bodies under contract. He does a lot of that, starting way back withe the early Downunders. He isn't the only one, Strike Zone used to mould the Viper and Voodoo lure bodies at different times, as well as Ridgeback until they went to Lively prior to Ridgeback closing.
Best guide is too look at the style of imprinted name.
Sooooo having said that the body could be very similar in a number of brands, just name badge engineered lol

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Bigriver
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Bigriver » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 am

Sooo it could be a Toyota Lexcen or a Holden Apollo?

smlekid
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by smlekid » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 am

here is a pic of my Jumbucks we have the large ones on the left 3 loaded dogs and a small jumbuck and a selection of medium jumbucks
they are one of my go to lures for trolling I use these Custom Crafted and Oargee's more than any other lures in my tackle box
Last edited by smlekid on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Swagman Lures”