Deep River Lures

Deep River Lures
Vince

Deep River Lures

Post by Vince » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 pm

I need some help. All I`ve got is made by Tony Barnard of Deep River Lures,based in SE Qld.Around 20Yrs old.I can`t find anything else or even verify this info.
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1642.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vince

Re: Deep River Lures

Post by Vince » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Dave. Thanks anyway mate. I didn`t say but they are timber & have a top finish on them,I`m hoping Fizza`s got a couple 100 & knows all about them.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi Vince,
I actually know Tony, He was a member of the Brisbane Valley Anglers when I was heavily into the club scene. He was a great angler, and an even better artist. Besides the lures he used to make for himself and a few lucky anglers, he also did (and resume still does) a lot of wildlife art. He gave me the original artwork he did for our Club shirt with a Mary RIver Cod about to smack a Leads lure. (i'll dig it out and scan it on the weekend).
I did run into him a couple of years ago after losing touch after I left the club, but haven't heard of him since.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Hello Brad. Thanks for that,it explains why his lures are so well painted & finshed.The pics don`t really do them justice. Vince

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Vince wrote:Dave. Thanks anyway mate. I didn`t say but they are timber & have a top finish on them,I`m hoping Fizza`s got a couple 100 & knows all about them.
Vince,
They really are very nice lures. Beautifully finished to say the least.
I don’t know if I have any or not yet would remember the belly signing so I’ll say I don’t.
A few things I have noticed are the bibs, shape & paint scheme/patterns.
I can’t remember where I’ve seen the pattern especially in the middle lure. It seems to be from perhaps a serge lure {could be totally wrong but something similar}
The bib I think may tell the story of how old these lures could possibly be along with the clips if they’re original. {again I could be way outta wack}
1stly if you purchased these new 20 yrs ago then I’m wrong.
If you purchased them from someone who stated they were this old I may be right.
2ndly, the lure design on the top two are familiar and you would think a painter would sculpt a design, again maybe wrong.
3rdly, are you positive these are all timber as there seems to be a seem especially on the minnow/bottom lure?????
The bibs on the two top are virtually the same as the bibs used on Wayne Lennon’s Oar Gee lures when he went from timber to polyurethane.
The 3rd pic shows the flat spot on the bibs nose, something you can’t see properly in other pics. I would possibly think that these two lures were made around the same time frame as the Oar Gees.
To confirm I would contact Wayne via his website & try & find out about the different bibs, who made them etc. It’s only a subtle difference but it is different.
Then you may be able to locate the bib cutter??? And determine who, when & where they were sent.
Lots of mucking around I know but if that’s what you want possibly the easiest way without anyone knowing exactly.

Shit, I don't know crazysmilie lol crazysmilie

Someone with the right literary skills should write a book on all this stuff; G'day Frank, thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Vince,
I should add that Tony was a dedicated freshwater nut, with both fly and lure. he spent quite a bit of time on Leslie & Glenlyon Dams in QLd and Copeton & Pindari in NSW. I sure you can see some of Mr Newells shapes in these lures. The top one has Scorpion lines and the other 2 some of the same shape as the Callop series.

Tony was introduced to salt luring around 1990 when he was living in Brisbane's SW burbs,and became somewhat fixated on the MJack population around the mouth of the Logan R. at the top of the Gold Coast. I vividly remember following him at VERY high speed thru some SKINNY channels between the islands in search of toothy red bream lol. He used to catch some stonkers.

Last time I saw Tony he was heading west again, with a car topper punt on the racks. The name of it was 'upstream' painted UPSIDE DOWN so it read right on the car. We made some humour of this due to his misfortune of upending a previous boat after encountering an unknown rockbar at low water height.

I'll see if any of my old cronies are still in touch with him, and endevour to get some info for you.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Fizza. I am fairly sure they are timber,they just have that timber sound & feel I guess.What appears to be a seam is a refection in the pic.You can see sand scratches in the paint on the middle one,the other 2 are too well finished.I was only told their age,so the bibs could tell the story on that one.Thanks for the info,I will try to look into it further. Brad. Thanks mate,you are right about the shapes,that is one of the things Fizza questioned.Would be good to get some more info,they are too special looking not to know some history.You would think Tony would still be fishing & making lures. Vince.

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am

Vince,
If my bib theory is on the mark then at a rough guess you could probably say they'd be around 10yrs old give or take a couple.

To continue along the same path, Wayne stopped making Prolines around 10yrs ago which I think was when the transitional changes were made to his range of lures.

Very nice lures to say the least.

Vince

Post by Vince » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 am

Fizza. Thanks mate,the only difference to the Proline bib is in the front,like you said these have sort of a flat front or flatish compared to the Proline.At least i`m only looking at a possible 10 yr time frame now .Around 10 if the bib theory holds true & 20 if the old mate told the truth(why would he lie just to sell a lure shockedsmilie ). Vince

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

Vince wrote:Fizza. Thanks mate,the only difference to the Proline bib is in the front,like you said these have sort of a flat front or flatish compared to the Proline.At least i`m only looking at a possible 10 yr time frame now .Around 10 if the bib theory holds true & 20 if the old mate told the truth(why would he lie just to sell a lure shockedsmilie ). Vince
Vince,
I'm not so much talking about the proline bib but when the proline was discontinued which is when I think Wayne went to other materials from timber.

The Oargee bibs changed in the plows as can be seen below & the two lures you have, have the later bib with squarish front.

I could be right of track but it'sa thought.

I think a lot of people use 20yrs as an age without thinking at times, sounds good, who knows. I don't think in a lot of cases its to mislead though.

Return to “Deep River Lures”