I see knowbody posted here yet.

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

I see knowbody posted here yet.

Post by Charged » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 am

I'll start off a conversation about those cheaper priced Chinese lures, that can be found on ebay. Just out of curiosity last summer I purchased a couple of auctions just to see what there all about. I'll admit that a few of the lures are absolute junk, that no amount of tuning will get them to swim strait. I'd suggest staying away from anything that has a large lip, and is designed to dive to deeper depths.

I've had success with the surface poppers, and the small lipped lures. If you do ever pick any up, expect to put a little work into them as the quality control is not always that great.

Here are a few that I think provide a decent value.

Image Image

Image Image

Two of the lures in this last photo are Yo zuri 3d minnows (A lure that I like a lot), the others are unbranded copy's.

After some watching, each picture is a lot that was picked up for just 2-4$ with free shipping (You would think that China's shipping charges would be more than the auction cost) All of these lures posted here are tune-able to a fish able level. There great to let either your kids, or friends who may not have there own equipment borrow. If they get lost, it's not a big deal. One thing I like to do, is to tape up the eyes, and spray them with a clear coat as soon as I get them. This seems to help protect the finish. Also stay away from the lip-less cranks, you will never be able to get them to swim well. Well I shouldn't say never. I've been experimenting with adding weight, and using them as a jigging lure for ice fishing.

I hope this post doesn't get too much ridicule, all the lures posted here were probably purchased and shipped for somewhere at a combined cost of around 20-25$. I have friends who don't have much equipment, and if I take them out fishing with me, I'll often let them fish with my lures. I just don't like loosing my better stuff to an inexperienced fisherman . The last time I took a friend out I let the guy borrow my polarized glasses so he could see what there all about, and within 5 minutes he put them down, and accidentally stepped on them. -duh

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I see knowbody posted here yet.

Post by Charged » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:08 am

Here is one of the ones I didn't like, Its a lipless crank that wasn't weighted properly. I cracked it apart so I could find the design of the inner chambers. This allowed me to drill holes in the others, and add weight. These are the ones I plan to use for vertical jigging through the ice.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am

totally agree with you mate there are some serious crappy lures from there and some sellers do talk them up.I have bought many a cheapie to see for myself how they go and 9 out of 10 times they just dont perform the time taken to check their design is zero in most cases but occasionally you do get a decent one.
this year i have not bothered with the china made lures and even some of the Australian re badged stuff from china a lot of good cod lures dive deep are out there lol many fill with water or have zero action but they still charge like a wounded bull for these packs of top quality lures nahnah .

I am seriously worried that in coming years it will be difficult to distinguish between the real deal and fakes from china im not worried now but their techniques are getting better by the day.The reputable company's may be looking at some serious law suits and marketing in a way that these copiers will have a harder time palming off crap to the public which will drive costs up and and let these guys earn even more due to the extravagant prices so it seems to me a loose loose for the consumer all because some shonky producers will try and rip off the wider community.

when i do buy from the bay and get crappy lures i will write a feedback that suits im hoping more people take the time to read the feedback and leave a real explanation not just let it go because it only cost $4 because the $4 you spent may not seem worth the while but i assure you there are kids buying this gear that get quite dishearted when they get their shiny new lures and they cant catch anything because the lures simply dont work [and they have no idea of the reasoning]
I spend a lot of time with kids and adults teaching them how to catch fish with lures and nothing pisses me off more than when the young fellas hae spent $20 or so trying to build up a collection that are simply crap having to explain to them they got crappy lures isnt fun at all and usually requires me to give them a few to soften the blow, i feel for them as like us they are simply trying to get a good all round collection but are getting no where fast.
I have seen blokes and kids give up altogether because of the no fish caught on a china lure syndrome,some have no idea its the lure and not them so i continue to state to them to buy from reputable sellers check their feedback check their brands and do a bit of research as today looking up info has never been easier on the net and takes no time at all.

anyway back to the post sorry for going astray,the china lures 99% arent worth the money spent and the sooner we report this the better everyone will be.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:08 pm

@ Charged

Through the cold season over here I'm always strolling local sunday fleamarkets , ...many a times I see Chinese made crap lures there , .......I don't buy'em , I'd rather search for any old and beaten up brand lures(hardbaits , spoons or spinners) to refurbish again , ......and if I find better conditioned DAM 's , Rapala's and the like , I'd surely pick these as well lol !

They even sell knock-offs of famous brand lures , a newbie might easily get confused , ........but their quality is poor , ...only have to look at the underpowered wire eyes , that surely won't hold up to a better pike or at least cause the lure to loose track after a hard fight or a bad snag !

Even the the big local tackle company "Balzer" did introduce some cheapos into their line distributing them under their name and also listed them in their catalog , .....they only cost 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price for a decent bait , .........I've bought one to try , .......a big bipped one , ........action accordingly to your describtion above , ......crap !

I know , that nowadays 90% of fishing tackle is made in China , ........but if it lacks a harsh quality control by the companies , that finally have their name printed on it , it most likely does not turn out for good !

Just my two cents , .......cheers , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

lofty
tradie
tradie

Post by lofty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Buy local and buy hand made and if you dont like what you have bought ,ring the maker and have a talk to him or her and I think a solution would be quickly found.Lofty
Image ESOTERIC LURES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:57 pm

lofty wrote:Buy local and buy hand made and if you dont like what you have bought ,ring the maker and have a talk to him or her and I think a solution would be quickly found.Lofty
sums it all up clapclap clapclap clapclap

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 pm

I anticipated these responses. There is a lot of negativity associated with Chinese products in general, and I understand this. To tell you guys the truth I do have a fairly large collection of vintage fishing equipment, it makes up the majority of my collection. I fish with this same collection most of the time, and also like to fish with Vintage rods, and reels, and even have a few of the fishers spooled up with silk line.

At the same time, I'm pretty open minded when it comes to different fishing techniques, and equipment. The lures I posted up above, I'm actually happy with. I will agree that there is a definite quality difference between these and a nice vintage lure, but I must say that the ones I posted, I feel are very close in quality to the basspro, and cabelas home brands, and they will hold up to the majority of the fish in my immediate area.

I'm new here, and haven't really had the chance yet to display the portions of my collection that you guys might be most interested in. I will in time, I'll just have to wait for the right opportunities.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 am

negative with absolute reason ,when these companys get their acts together and produce quality gear we can rely on and use then my attitude will change.Ive yet to buy a crap lure from a maker in Australia although loftys are pretty average lol lol lol nahnah nahnah nahnah smckin smckin smckin

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 am

The basic problem is that many fisherfolks (myself included) won't pay $8+ for a new lure...even if it's the next best thing to sliced bread -duh lol

And unfortunately....there are thousands of fisherfolks that simply can't afford to buy high priced lures skky

In retrospect...cheap lures (and you guys have to admit it to a point) DO catch fish...and so WHY spend more? hhyp

Sorry guyz...I'll get off (and stay off) the soapbox now spbx -imsorry smckin -escape wwww

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 am

@ rivermandave

I agree 100% to your statement that also cheap lures would catch fish , no doubt about that .

BUT , ...to catch fish , a lure must have an appeal to the predator , thus at least track true and also sport an appealing action , also the wire eyes and/or hooks must not bend open or fail under the strain of a fighing fish , possibly even a trophy one , .......not to talk of a lasting finish and absolutely waterproof glued or welded seams .

If a cheapo could achieve all of this demands , I'd go for it as well , ........but I simply haven't seen too many yet .

I would not pay big money for lures as well , rather looking for used ones on fleamarkets or Ebay or making my own , ........but the really wasted buck goes for non-functional stuff , no matter at which price .

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “[ASIAN] FISHING LURES VINTAGE AND COLLECTABLE LURES FROM ASIA AND OTHER”