George Dempster Lures

George Dempster Lures
Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

George Dempster Lures

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Brad,
I've been lucky to score a couple more Pipeline George or Dollar-an-Inch lures recently, one from my brother in Grafton and another from a mate here in Darwin.
Was going to post some pics, but realised there's no entry for George under the Qld. banner, did a search and found many references to him, any chance you could move all these posts to a thread for George? He definitely deserves his 15mins. of fame.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Re: George Dempster Lures

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Tony.
I agree with your thoughts, however I can only send Paul a request to make a sub section for George, I would not have a clue how to do it, even if I had access lol lol lol

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Good idea, Tony. Certainly a Qld maker of considerable historical importance.

I'll wait for the new Dempster forum and toss-up a post or two myself:-
bought a few lures off the man himself during my Uni days in Townsville, mid to late 1970s.

Although most of our better fish came from below Aplin Weir or down at the Barrattas, I did manage a few nice barra off the Ross River pipeline too at the time, and one very memorable fish came from casting at the pipeline 'pilons' from the shore!

PS: Just went looking for the pipeline in GoogleEarth and couldn't find it:- appears to be gone!

Sad....
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Tony,
Yeah it will be good when Dempster gets his own section, along with your posts and Powellys I learnt alot about the history of George.
My own experience of his lures comes sadly from a good mate of mine, he was a young Telstra Elect. Engineer who worked with me here in Darwin, originally he came from Townsville and on a family visit in the mid 80's he acquired a selection and shared with me on his return.
I say sadly, as he was one of the four Telstra men plus the pilot who were killed in that tragic plane crash in FNQ ten years ago. He was only 39yrs. old.
I caught my first lure caught barra on one of the 3" in blue, my two most recent finds are also in blue, so I guess that was the predominant colour he painted.
At least now I have a couple of swaps for other timbers, when the need arises.
Your info. on the pipeline in Ross R. is interesting, I was under the belief it was those stormwater pipes that project into the bay out from the Strand, that he walked out onto. Good to know where the real spot was and your having fished it.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

Return to “George Dempster Lures”