Vintage Lure Restorations

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
MXB
Master
Master

Vintage Lure Restorations

Post by MXB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am

Hi all . . .

I've been thinking of starting a thread like this for a while but wasn't sure where to start. Any way here we are and my idea is that the members if interested post some photos or discussion on renovating old lures. It may be an early Aussie lure or a vintage overseas model or a lure you used and needed a repaint. I've got a few more completed ones to show over time so lets see your renos.

My focus is on vintage lures and this lure came to me recently and was painted fluoro yellow on the underneath and a blue colour on the top. It was disgusting; You can see it in the photo of these lures that a mate sent over. He thought it was a Weller Mouse c. 1950's and I got all these lures as a lot for about US$15. He knows I like fixing up old lures so gave it to me for a few bucks.
MVC-014L.JPG
After some delicate scraping the cedar blank appeared. The front eyelet had always had me baffled on this lure and the brass pin eyes, a couple of holes where the ears would have been and a tail;
phpaHKSJXPM.jpg
php1i6JMgPM.jpg
During this process I started looking at this lure and wondering what it was because it certainly wasn't a Weller Mouse, it's not a Paw Paw lure or CCBC. It's not a D.A.M Mouse so what was it? The eyelet had to be a give away so I googled mouse lure and searched the images and found a photo of a little mouse lure with the same eyelet, the same bib . . . it was the same lure.

It stated that it was a Moonlight lure and when I looked up the the 1920 Moonlight catalogue there it was. The Moonlight #50 Mouse with the same eyelet, the same bib and suede tail and ears. Released in four colours only with one being 'mouse colour' which was a dark brown with black back.

So that is the project and what a lure . . . glad I removed all the paint now and will update during the process

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

jimmy34
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Vintage Lure Restorations

Post by jimmy34 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 am

Excellent thread MXB
Here is a picture of my boxfull of old lures that will slowly be restored.
A mixture of wood and plastic, mostly from USA - Shakespere Mouse, South Bend, plenty of Arbogast - jitterbug, hula poppers, 2 hula dancers.

I didn't take some out of their bags as the hardware has been removed.

these will probably be repainted far different from original colour schemes, will just experiment.
boxfull lure fixes.jpg
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:24 am

@jimmy34

Great stuff James and looks like you will be busy with restoring that lot and sometimes its hard to replicate the exact paint colours and patterns and better to work with patterns you are familiar with. Some nice lures to work with there.

I look forward to seeing your finished products or works in progress thumbsupsmilie

I'll be painting the Moonlight #50 Mouse this week and have finished sealing the wood blank. I'll post an update soon

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 am

Here's the mouse painted and with its first clear coat - bib and front eyelet masked off.
Used auto spray cans and a simple pattern brown/ black back. Eyes I'm deciding on yellow I think or maybe red?
I've fitted little leather ears . . . roughly shaped and fitted into the holes and pinned in place with tiny nails. Decided to lacquer them to harden them up a bit.
I've also found a shoelace that will work as the tail and fitted last;
phpXKR2JvPM.jpg
phpZdJdDMPM.jpg
Excuse the glare in the photos

MXB

howdy

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Post by hazmail » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 pm

Roger- great find and great finish, are you going to fish it.
Pete

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:29 pm

@hazmail . . .

It will definitely hit the water to see what the action is like and get a fish thumbsupsmilie
Another coat of clears after painting the eyes and I'm thinking of cutting two small leather patches to cover the pin on each ear and look like an earhole lol

MXB

howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 am

Hi all . . . well here's my little #50 Moonlight Mouse finished. Couldn't be bothered fitting little ear patches. Found a Colorado boot lace for a tail and fitted with a new vintage Mustad hook 2X. Eyes decided to go with yellow for contrast as red would have got lost in the black.I'm happy with the way this little guy turned out;
phpdSQFMpPM.jpg
php7pRpXIPM.jpg
MXB

howdy

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 am

looks great mate hope she swims well clapclap

Jerk_Bait
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Jerk_Bait » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Great job on the refinish!!

I couldn't figure out how to private message you so I'll ask here... In your first picture, the flat lure you're holding in your fingers, I have the same identical one, what is it?

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:29 pm

That lure is a Bagleys in Crappie colour - can't remember the exact model etc

MXB

howdy

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”