all time great aussie cod lures?

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

all time great aussie cod lures?

Post by jimmymate » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Following along similar lines to my RMG question in another post.

If you could take only three aussie timber cod lures fishing with you regardless off availability, rarity and cost/value what would they be and why?

Ive got a bee in my bonnet to try and put together a "fishing" box of lures that most would consider collectable and and would never contemplate fishing with.

Interested to hear anyones thoughts.

Jimmy

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: all time great aussie cod lures?

Post by vince. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:28 am

Jimmy, are you sure you are not my old mate Fizza in disguise. Fiz & I have put a lot of different & old lures in the water to try, but not seriously fishing, just playing around checking them out.

I been thinking on this & I don`t think I am qualified to give an opinion. I haven`t fished seriously with any of the old timber lures. Where I live we are isolated from tackle shops & I was never a reader of product selling Mags that told you the latest & best ways to buy equipment to catch fish. My three lures of choice for Cod in those days(80`s & 90`s) were, live Carp, live Forkies & grubs. Never failed. If we were bored, we might drag an aeroplane spinner down the middle of the river for limited results but you could have a beer while you were doing it. Started using lures more seriously mid 90`s but mainly for Yella`s. Lures are pretty well all we use now, but we don`t fish anywhere near as much as then.

The only suggestion I can make is to use the ones that still work & still made today. There`s got to be a reason for their longevity. Collectors & fishermen tend to have different opinions on this subject. I can only recommend the older timber versions of the ones that work for me now.
Regards.....Vince.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Jimmy

don't pay Vince no attention with those illegal offerings to the mighty cod.

For the Victorian waters I don't think you can go pass the Stumpies, the Oargies and of course the Hammerheads.

I had fished timber Stumpies in the old days. Only had 2 and lost them to the red gum fish.

I use these 3 types for cod as they do catch the most fish.

You can still find timber Oargies. The Hammerheads are still in timber.

Get a timber Stumpy and you are set mate lol lol lol .

Albert

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:31 pm

ocd1688 wrote:Get a timber Stumpy and you are set mate
thumbsupsmilie Couldn`t agree more thumbsupsmilie An old Hammerhead & a timber Rellik-Doc & you have my three.

Same reason as before, I`ve have a good run out of all the later models. I can`t comment on the older ones.
Regards.....Vince.

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks guys. Interesting to hear others opinions. I was expecting Albert to have Seekers in his list?

Totally agree with stumpies as i guess most people would have that in their list thumbsupsmilie

Agree with your comment Vince re lures that are still around today. Cant think of too many currently available lures that are based/moulded of old classics that wont catch fish.

I can forgive you Vince for drowning the old bait. You can sure catch alot of fish on baits.

Thanks for the posts boys

Jimmy

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:06 pm

jimmymate wrote: Cant think of too many currently available lures that are based/moulded of old classics that wont catch fish.
Jimmy, it has to be a pretty ordinary lure that`s available today that won`t catch fish. It`s more the ordinary fishermen that can`t catch fish. lol
Regards.....Vince.

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”