The Wonderful World of Facebook

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Wonderful World of Facebook

Post by vince. » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Maybe I am too old to understand the concept, but I have just been made aware of the incredible world that is Face Book. Unbelievable how I thought the experts on this & other lure sites got a little out of hand. They would not blow wind up the bottoms of some of the opinions offered on facebook. In the short time I have had to see only a tiny amount & maybe I am looking at the wrong pages, but I have seen more misinformation & ridiculous prices than you could ever imagine.

At least on the forums, someone from time to time, questions some of the offerings. From what I have seen on facebook so far, it`s every man for himself. Keith Baker minnows being labelled as rare & told they are worth three to four hundred dollars minimum, when in fact Keith made twice as many minnows than he made crays. A old round eye Ken Hendry Seeker called something nothing like a Seeker & being valued at fifteen dollars. -duh -duh

Gives me a new perspective of the info available on the lure sites. It`s certainly not perfect, but a long way ahead of the option. lol lol.
Regards.....Vince.

zaneswan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: The Wonderful World of Facebook

Post by zaneswan » Wed May 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Joined a couple of pages on there recently Vince....very interesting to say the least! Needed an ID on a lure a week or so ago. I thought it was a Doof Doc but apparantly not! All the do called 'experts' were very quick to tell me it wasn't a Doof Doc but no one seemed to be able to tell me what it actually was! Anyway what will be will be and I don't think we will ever change it but yes the accuracy on sites like this from knowledgeable members like yourself is like gold!

Cheers
Zane

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 am

Sounds like I'm not missing much not having a facebok account. thumbsupsmilie

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Thu May 07, 2015 9:23 am

jimmymate wrote:Sounds like I'm not missing much not having a facebok account. thumbsupsmilie
lol lol Jimmy, no doubt there`s a lot of top people as with everything, but it`s not really my sort of thing either. I used my wife`s account as she never uses it either lol
zaneswan wrote: from knowledgeable members like yourself is like gold!
More like fool`s gold Zane lol My knowledge is very limited, but I do try to be sure of the info, before I put it up, what`s the point otherwise. A lot of my observations & comments come from reading old posts & seeing how opinions & trends were formed. Very interesting if you have the time & are not prepared to believe everything written in the past. Innocent ignorance or self promoting, both lead to the same result if they are not based on the truth, & can`t be questioned.
Regards.....Vince.

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Fri May 08, 2015 8:31 pm

There are definitely more facebook lure legends then what is on the forums....hard to believe but true. You can spot them a mile away but , at times, they are good for a laugh.

I'm no lure expert and have never professed to be one but some of the blokes on there certainly think they are. What gets me the most is the way others look up to them and often seek them out especially to ask them questions about specific lures that I sometimes doubt the 'expert' has ever seen.

As always, there are a few very knowledgeable gents that offer good advice but are often shot down by others for reasons unknown. These helpful fella's often sit back and watch after being put down by some keyboard warriors. Cant blame them , but in the end everyone misses out on the truth which I think is what we all want.
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

Fizza.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fizza. » Sat May 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Baz wrote:There are definitely more facebook lure legends then what is on the forums....hard to believe but true. You can spot them a mile away but , at times, they are good for a laugh.

I'm no lure expert and have never professed to be one but some of the blokes on there certainly think they are. What gets me the most is the way others look up to them and often seek them out especially to ask them questions about specific lures that I sometimes doubt the 'expert' has ever seen.

As always, there are a few very knowledgeable gents that offer good advice but are often shot down by others for reasons unknown. These helpful fella's often sit back and watch after being put down by some keyboard warriors. Cant blame them , but in the end everyone misses out on the truth which I think is what we all want.
Been there done that Baz crazysmilie lol crazysmilie

Actually you'd be one of the best lure ID blokes going around...no B/S if you don't know but when you do you're very good at what you do. thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Just as Rob was around all those yrs ago and knows what he's talking about yet very few ever listened because they didn't want to know the truth. zippedsmilie zippedsmilie

I find it amusing that when someone collects a particular brand of lures and no doubt enjoys them that person then becomes an overnight expert although they may have only been collecting a few yrs and have never met then maker let alone spoken to him/her on the phone -duh -duh -duh 2 Bennett collectors spring to mind who haven't got a clue lol lol lol

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Sat May 09, 2015 7:49 pm

Fiz, of the hundreds of John Bennett lures you have & I know you only dealt with John before anyone else was involved in his business & before anyone else knew who he was, how many have a circle on the bib.

I know this maybe taken as one of those negative posts, but hopefully I am not the only one who thinks a simple fact like this has some importance.
Regards.....Vince.

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Are you trying to tell me that the Bennett's with the circle on the bib are not in fact bennetts? ??? nahnah

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Sat May 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Certainly not Jimmy thumbsupsmilie That`s the point of all this. I know very little about John Bennet lures, I don`t collect them & haven`t bothered to look into it. However, we have been lead to believe, & still are told this, that any with a circle on the bib is not one of John`s. I know for a fact, that Fiz only purchased his many hundreds of JB lures, long before any other involvement & many of them have circles on the bibs. But yet, we are regularly told this is not the case.

I do tend to believe Fiz, not because he is a mate( shouldn`t say that, it`s not a proud achievement), but because he told me this & I had seen the lures, long before the myth of the mysterious circles was invented. If John Bennet deserves to be a maker of some note, then let`s get the facts right. If you can help further, please do. Please Jimmy, I know Fiz is just another very ugly Victorian, but no one wants to believe him lol lol If you have some Bennet`s with circles, please post a pic, as Fiz has stopped caring about the idiots who want to believe otherwise(his words, not mine)
Regards.....Vince.

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Sun May 10, 2015 8:01 am

I am by no means an expert on John's lures but this might throw a spanner in the works.
rps20150510_075635_228.jpg
??? lol crazysmilie

Pretty sure it's on of John's lures with a circle on the bib. Then again I have been wrong in the past. lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”