Quick cod drift

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Quick cod drift

Post by jimmymate » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:27 pm

I managed to get out early this morning for a half day float.

Hit the river at about 5am and fished surface for a couple of hours to no avail. Water clarity wasn't great so I changed up to the old faithful #1 stumpjumper in green frog. A couple more hours past with not a hit and I was starting to think it was going to be a fishless day. The section of river I was fishing held some strong pools with heavy cover in the way of timber and large river boulders.
rps20150330_163731_901.jpg
Decided to change to a dark purple stumpy for something different and as I drifted through some rapids to the head of the next pool I made a cast in the rough water and Whammo!
rps20150330_163255_858.jpg
Nasty bugger made light work of my lip grips.
rps20150330_163907_192.jpg
No other fish for the rest of the drift but in what I think to be not ideal conditions I'm pretty satisfied with the one I got.

Now I just need to find time to get out for another session.

Jimmy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zaneswan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Quick cod drift

Post by zaneswan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Nice fish mate. Did you get a measure??

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Bloody Fantastic.... Jimmy.. clapclap clapclap

Looks like a great bit of country you have access to there... thumbsupsmilie

Adverse conditions , but you still managed a great result... once again..well done clapclap clapclap

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks guys. thumbsupsmilie

Even though I have fish for cod for quite some years now it's really been the last year that I've really been putting in the time chasing them hard with lures. Catching them more regularly now, but still have heaps to learn. I'm getting to the point where I feel I know enough to catch them consistantly but I'm still having sessions that leave me scratching my head and I'd swear there wasn't a cod in the whole river. crazysmilie -duh

Today was an example where I fished some great water really hard and well (lots of accurate cast at the same structure) and ended up getting the only fish in shallow fast water. So then I concerntrated my efforts on that type of water and didn't raise another hit. Anyway always a learning curve.

Zane , no measurement but guessing mid 70's? I'm hopeless at guessing Murray Cod lengths so I could be off.

Jimmy.

Fizza.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fizza. » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 am

jimmymate wrote:Thanks guys. thumbsupsmilie

Even though I have fish for cod for quite some years now it's really been the last year that I've really been putting in the time chasing them hard with lures. Catching them more regularly now, but still have heaps to learn. I'm getting to the point where I feel I know enough to catch them consistantly but I'm still having sessions that leave me scratching my head and I'd swear there wasn't a cod in the whole river. crazysmilie -duh

Today was an example where I fished some great water really hard and well (lots of accurate cast at the same structure) and ended up getting the only fish in shallow fast water. So then I concerntrated my efforts on that type of water and didn't raise another hit. Anyway always a learning curve.

Zane , no measurement but guessing mid 70's? I'm hopeless at guessing Murray Cod lengths so I could be off.

Jimmy.
Well done Jimmy. clapclap clapclap

Another shallow water cod thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”