Fred Zass

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
zaneswan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Fred Zass

Post by zaneswan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Anyone know anything about Fred Zass lures. Picked up a few timber 'logleapers' a while back bit haven't been able to find out much about them.

Cheers
Zane

Fizza.
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Fred Zass

Post by Fizza. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:48 pm

I don't believe they were made for that long. From Swan Hill I think.

I've got the first one he sold on eBay here somewhere.

Fred was a fisherman making lures to catch fish, not that pretty but good shallow water lures

zaneswan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by zaneswan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:52 pm

I have heard he was from the Swan Hill area. Yes not the prettiest lure but served its purpose in the shallow water. I picked up 7 of the logleapers at a service station for $10!

Cheers
Zane

Fizza.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fizza. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Good buy, i paid $15 plus postage for mine.

They're solid enough and should handle a decent cod I would think.

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:52 pm

$10 each, or 7 for $10 shockedsmilie

Did you get them recently Zane?

zaneswan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by zaneswan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 pm

7 for $10 mate! Couldn't believe it!

Yeah got them a couple of months ago.

Cheers
Zane

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:43 am

Good action on them but the bib is thin and has a tendency to crack and break. Seen a couple break from hitting rocks while trolling.
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

zaneswan
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by zaneswan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 am

You are spot on Baz.

Theses lures have never had a swim but somehow in transit I have managed to break a bib.

Cheers
Zane

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm

That sucks about the brittle bibs. Unbeivable price though. Worth the trebles alone thumbsupsmilie

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Tue May 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Fizza. wrote:I've got the first one he sold on eBay here somewhere.
Don`t doubt that, you have a lot of firsts, thumbsupsmilie . First member on the forums to use the word Nude to describe an unpainted lure. I know it came from Rapala, but you introduced it to the Australian collectors & now it is just taken for granted. If you weren`t so ugly, we could love ya. lol lol

Zane, I never got to talk to Fred Zass, only his business partner. Being an idiot, I cannot for the life of me remember his name. A brilliant young fella who organised all Fred`s computer related business & sales via the net.

All that has gone now unfortunately, but I can tell you this from memory, so don`t put too much faith in it lol lol

Fred did & maybe still does run a caravan park in your area(Swan Hill). He made lures as a sideline to his business & because he was a very keen Murray River Fisherman. Top shallow water Cod lures as Fiz has mentioned, not too flash as also mentioned & very brittle bibs, also mentioned. I have one with a broken bib sitting on the book shelf beside me. My young fella Snork, borrowed it & broke it while spending a day on the Murray fishing with his mate Albert crazysmilie Fred`s Cod lures have a 90mm body as you would be aware.

They decided to release a limited edition series which I think was intended to become a regular thing. These collector lures were better finished, each named after an endangered species & each came signed, with it`s own card & web page. There were 8 in the first & unfortunately only release. This is six of that eight.
Log Leapers 001.JPG
Log Leapers 002.JPG
Log Leapers 003.JPG
Log Leapers 004.JPG
Fred also made a trout lure. I know I have a few, but this is all I can find at the moment -duh 50mm body
Log Leapers 006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards.....Vince.

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”