The Evolution of the Cray

Keith Baker, Mambri Lures
vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Evolution of the Cray

Post by vince. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:16 pm

After reading Rob`s post about the Fixed Claw Cray I reckon it would be a good time to put them in order.

Right or wrong, this is how Keith told it to me.

The first lures Keith made for sale weren`t Cray shapes. He started with Minnows, the first of which was a little Nilsie copy. He still lived near Armidale at the time & his first cray shape was this.
IMG_0001 (3).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG
IMG_0003 (1).JPG
This particular lure is not the first one of these made(could be, but will never know), but is very early. Mono whiskers were used on a few of this shape only at the very start. Keith thinks he might have done around 6 or 8(not sure) with mono before he went to the bristles. There are a few variations of the fixed claw shape, but this is the original shape of the first Keith Baker Kra-Bob.

Next came the articulated Claws & this one is the first one made. It was given to a good mate of Keith`s who had it until Rob was lucky enough to acquire it. I inherited it when Rob Gave me all his Keith lures to look after in the manner they were accustomed lol
IMG_0004 (1).JPG
IMG_0005 (1).JPG
The first articulated had the hooks in the claws. Not that hard to spot really lol Moved onto the bristles for this model.

Next is the classic shape we all know & still using the bristles.
IMG_0006.JPG
Most of the later Kra-Bobs had no whiskers due to some of the Trout fishermen claiming it spooked the fish & Keith stopped using them. I reckon it was just one less thing to have to do to finish the lure thumbsupsmilie .
IMG_0007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards.....Vince.

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The Evolution of the Cray

Post by jimmymate » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Wowee! How good do those look! droolsmilie

Ahhh the ol whiskers on a crayfish. The crayfishes only natural defence against wild trout. lol

Crackin set of lures you have there Vince

Jimmy

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Great work Vince .... reckon Dianne must have helped you with this . Its too accurate for you to have done by yourself.

Anyway..... just look at those beauties...... all done with the single ( yes that's right ) single 1 pruning knife that Kieth carved everyone of his creations with. How do I know this is true.... well he gifted me that knife and a letter of confirmation , after I sent him a brand new one. Same model , size and maker , only the new one had twice as much meat on the blade , because the old one had been sharpened so many times. These items now live at my mates place ( Vince ) .... with many , many many hundreds of their friends.

Imagine , after all these years , dozens of makers trying to make Crays or Yabbies , with the use of Dremmel tools and all sorts of mechanical and electrical gadgets...... Yet none could blow wind up Kieths arse.... as far as bringing life to his creations.... they would always run a distant 2nd at best.

Kieth Baker..... "An un-rivalled talent ! "

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 pm

jimmymate wrote:Ahhh the ol whiskers on a crayfish. The crayfishes only natural defence against wild trout.
Love your style Jimmy thumbsupsmilie That`s one of the best replies I`ve seen in a long time. lol lol There used to be an idiot who posted on here a lot years ago who would have said the same thing. I do think that my cutting the work theory holds more substance than trout censored footing around a potentially lethal whisker. pokeystix
Regards.....Vince.

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Rellik-doc-rob wrote:Great work Vince .... reckon Dianne must have helped you with this . Its too accurate for you to have done by yourself.
Rob, we have had 20mm of rain & today was 38 degrees. Do you think Dianne has time to be helping me with this sort of thing when she has lawns to mow. Even our idiot mate in Bendigo has been doing an hour here & there at work again, so he wasn`t able to help either -duh

Tell you what though, although it aint easy doing it on your own, it`s a lot less stressful when you trim the dead wood. lol lol
Regards.....Vince.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Boss

With all the specimens you have of Keith's creations and the knowledge of the man, you should really do a reference for the old master.

You have already done a semi-bio and a FEW of his lures the task shouldn't be that hard.
So new camera and all go for it mate.

The stories, and I mean stories based on absolute bull, can be rectified for the future.

Now that the site is going again and you have a voice again.

Just don't be too rude and aggressive lol lol lol

Albert

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Albert ,

What a waste of time asking that IDIOT to be anything other than "Rude & Aggressive "

Dream again Gus..... lol lol lol

RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:50 pm

ocd1688 wrote:Just don't be too rude and aggressive
Gus, I think you are confusing me with someone else & I think you know who lol lol lol

You know that I had little interest in starting again, but now that it`s a goer again, I might just take advantage of the situation. Might even try somehow to get Keith`s lures sorted into I don`t know what. -duh We may have to discuss this at length when you are not so sated with Hendricks. lol lol
Regards.....Vince.

Return to “Keith Baker, Mambri Lures”