John Sautelle - Fly fishing books

Powelly
tradie
tradie

John Sautelle - Fly fishing books

Post by Powelly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Like many fisherman, I have been privileged to know some of the true legends in the world of fishing. Having lived at Merimbula & Pambula for many years, I was lucky enough to meet John Sautelle, through my friendship with Bushy (Kaj Busch). I met and chatted to John on a number of occassions and was fortunate enough to get a couple of autographed books from him. He was a fascinating man and was always good for a chat. On one occassion, John took me out the back of the fishing shop, where Bushy worked, and gave me some fly casting lessons - pity I didn't get a few more lessons, because I sure need them!

We had a clean up in the garage, last weekend, and I found a box full of my old fishing books. These two books, of John's, not only provide great educational information on flyfishing but also have detailed information on places around the world where John has fished. Definitely a great read. Not sure if you can still buy them, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: John Sautelle - Fly fishing books

Post by simon bruce » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Great stuff Powelly.

Sounds like it bought back a few good memories.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm

@powelly and John Sautelle . . .

thumbsupsmilie bowsmilie thumbsupsmilie bowsmilie

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:54 pm

John Sautelle was true gentleman and was agreat person to correspond with.

His books, especially signed ones are becoming increasingly valuable.

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:04 pm

I actually have two copies (both autographed) of "Fishing for the Educated Trout".

I was President/Secretary of the Coolah Anglers Club for many years. I wrote to John, asking if he would donate an autographed book as a prize for the heaviest fly caught trout. Being the gentleman that he was, he sent off a copy of "Fishing for the Educated Trout". I won that prize.

Below is the note that John put in with the book.

Travers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:13 pm

Good stuff , thanks for sharing something personal. I can guess that letter brings back some good memories.

The million dollar question is what was the article you suggested?

Actually there are two, what weight trout did you win the comp with?

The letter, to me, says a lot about the character of John Sautelle. Reading this post I remember driving past areas that he had fished on the Monaro and being lucky enough to fish a few of the same streams like the Maglaughlin near Nimmitabel.

Even though not a fly fisher myself I remember reading John Sautelles articles with keen interest.

Powelly
tradie
tradie

Post by Powelly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Simon, I wish my memory from 22 years ago was crystal clear, but old age is catching up with me. -duh -duh crazysmilie -duh crazysmilie crazysmilie -duh blahblah

I'm pretty sure the fish wasn't all that big - about 2lb - which is not that flash when 3lb rainbows were common and 5lb rainbows weren't uncommon.

I can't remember the article that I suggested to John, but I do remember the emu feather bit.

On Friday afternoons, I used to run a Fishing Clinic, for students, based on fly tying and fly fishing. EJ Todd and a few other wholesalers came good with fly tying gear, fly rods and reels. One of the students brought in some emu feathers, which I converted to a caterpillar fly - can't remember if I ever caught anything on it. Not sure if Bushy ever used them.

Must go, and remember to finish my beer before it goes flat.

Travers

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks Travers

Enjoy your beer, you've earnt it on this one.

Return to “VINTAGE AND CURRENT BOOKS / MAGAZINES / CATALOGUES AND MORE”