Tassy nymph's .

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Tassy nymph's .

Post by Tyenna Dave » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 am

Have been tying up a few nymph's for the upcoming season .
I think i have Tassy cabin fever .
Some untested and some are favoured flies .
A dark and light coloured Caddis Larva/Grub's .
Kiewa Stone Fly .
Stone Fly and Super Heavy Grub .The white collared grub is a killer .
Go to Scrubber .
End and start of season Buzzer that was quite affective .
Another Buzzer style that works well in the Tyenna .
Cabin Fever Dave ...

jimmy34
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Tassy nymph's .

Post by jimmy34 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Love your work Dave, good to switch between lure and fly, cover all situations. Are they all specifically designed for Tyenna River fish?

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Hey Jimmy !
Definately nothing wrong with a swap between fly and lure on the odd occasion .
I do love the placcy's but the fly is slowly taking over .%75 of my fishing would be on the fly now .
I have only designed two flies so far and the bottom buzzer style nymph is one and the other is a Tyenna Stone Fly .
The bottom buzzer was the basic Tyenna recipe from a local gunn .He always said tie something sparse ,dark brown or black body ,a little flash ,something white and weight to bounce the gravel .
So thats what i basically came up with and it has worked as well as any other of the flies i have used .
The stone fly here in the Tyenna has a black body ,green edges here and there with a bright red saddle .
This is the first attempt that caught quite a few rainbow's in a small mountain stream .
It was a little lacking in weight for the deep short fast holes so has been modified with more weight and tied a bit more sparsley .
I still have a few on the lighter side handy though .
Can never have enough sizes and weights .LOL!
I think Tyenna fish will eat nearly anything ,they eat my flies! Ha~ Ha~!
Dave ...

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:24 pm

very nice display of flies mate im still practising -duh lol

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 am

Keep at it Mully !
I am only new to the tying myself .
Here is a pic of most of the nymph's i have been tying .
Hard to get a descent pic of them all together at once .
Dave ...

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:18 pm

@Tyenna Dave . . .

A very nice lot of lures and I'm beginning to understand that many applications in the flowing rivers and streams in your area require some weight to get them to the holding fish. Those bead heads are tough too bouncing off obstacles and sinking into the strike zones. Stonefly variants will always get fish. Its amazing how many different sorts of stonefly exist in rivers etc and the slight difference like you describe. Well done on inventing a fly that works.They look really good

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 pm

what are you using for th elegs and tails the material looks very interesting i need to get some thumbsupsmilie

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanx fella's !
I do use the short line when nymphing MXB so the weighted flies are what do the job in the faster runs .
Most of the bead heads are lead wrapped 6 times aswell .And as you said it gets them straight into the strike zone as the czech nymphers do .
All of them have unweighted versions that i use as the trailing nymph .
The tails are cheap Indian cock Mully .Just rip off a few from the stem and use as the tail.
The stone fly legs and tails are goose biots and some are peacock (eye section).
The goose biots look nice and buggy but it doesn't mean they catch more fish unfortunately .
Most of the simple flies i find are the best .
Still it is fun to tie flies that look cool .
And they do work well on their day .
Dave ...

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Mully wrote:what are you using for th elegs and tails the material looks very interesting i need to get some
Don't waste anything Mully . . . when you strip down hackle feathers and tie in after wrapping keep the offcuts which will be the base of the feather and can be used for this purpose. The finer the feather the better for flies that TD shows. You can use the base of Marabou feathers too - if you want black just paint with permanent markers or colour of choice.

I've experimented with quick sink flies like you are using Dave and tie six of a pattern from no lead wire wraps to 10 wraps. Have you tried tying some reverse where you place heavy guage lead wire, just one length on the top of the hook so that the hook sits upright? Just a thought for bouncing the bottom?

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Nice 1 MXB !!!
I think that might just work a treat .
If the hook does sit upright with a lead keel so to speak , that would definately improve the drifts aswell as avoid snagging the gravel .
It probably wouldn't work on the bent hooks but definately worth a shot on the straight ones .
I'll tie a few up and see how they sit !
Have you tried it MXB or anyone ?
Thanx ,
Dave ...

Return to “FLY FISHING FLIES CURRENT”