Early Aussie Tapered Cast

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Early Aussie Tapered Cast

Post by Marrakai » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Bought two of these new when I was about 12 years old, from the Barber Shop in the main street of Monto when I lived there for 2 years around 1970.
After visiting Canberra on holidays and being shown how to fly-cast by a friendly local on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, I had aspirations of becoming a 'fly fisherman' when I grew up but alas I discovered baitcasters so it never happened!

The other example I wore out practising my casting at the time, but this one survived unused.
Horribly primative by today's standards:- there are seven knots in this one!

<click to enlarge>
GilliesSupreme_TaperedCast.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

MXB
Master
Master

Re: Early Aussie Tapered Cast

Post by MXB » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Here's another vintage old J M Gillies gut leader in the 2x size (around 4-5lb breaking strain). Marrakai's 1x would be about 3lb;
phpjidakyPM.jpg
There was many different leader types in the 1960/1970's and it is amazing how well made many of them were with multiple sections connected by locked double blood knots (anyone who has the patience to tie these up knows how difficult it is to produce knotted, tapered leaders);
phpnzZbgKPM.jpg
An early nylon or monofilament leader (for discerning anglers);
phpXZxuyFPM.jpg
An early twisted wire leader which is still shiny and like new inside the packet;
php6OxXPuPM.jpg
An English made leader by Farlows;
phpmLlSH9PM.jpg
Great pieces of history showing what was around in the early days

MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “VINTAGE FLY TACKLE AND ACCESSORIES”