When...

loomis
Expert
Expert

When...

Post by loomis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here with a question...

When did Bombers start making their lures out of plastic? A general question maybe, but I am not all that up to date on Bombers.

The reason I ask is that I recently got three bombers (in boxes) and have found that the boxes in question were used from 1962 onwards. So just trying to get an idea of an age range of these lures. Going by the 1962 thing, these lures are at most, 47 years old. But how yound could they be?

Hope that all makes sence to you guys.

Leigh.

P.S plan on taken updated photos of my lures and posting on the weekend. Will chuck the Bombers up here when I do that.
aussbasstony wrote: Hey Brolly,
But i do like your Bums mate smckin lol

MXB
Master
Master

Re: When...

Post by MXB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:03 am

@loomis . . .

Great name you got there and welcome to the site lol lol

OK Bomber lures have been around for a long time and the early woodens were done with no eyes and a pearl finish + L rig hardware and these date to the late 1930's and early 1940's . By WW2 they had moved to cup hardware and even produced a 'victory model' in 1946 that had morse code in black as the pattern on the side of a white lure (now very rare). The early woods are characterised by the orange eyes and these continued into the 1950's for the original Bomber and the 'Waterdogs'.

My understanding was that they went to plastic moulded production by the early 1960's as you indicate but I am uncertain of exact dates. Will need to do some research and also post some more Bombers . . . look forward to seeing yours

They also did Bomber jigs, surface lures and heaps of others . . . I'll drag out an old catalogue and post too

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

loomis
Expert
Expert

Post by loomis » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:49 am

Pictures as promised...

Boxes.

Lures.

Any information you could share on these lures would be greatly appreciated.

Leigh.

P.S This lure collecting thing is addictive!

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:15 pm

@loomis . . .

Here's a link that might explain a bit about Bomber lures and their history for you . . .

http://www.txknothead.com/bombers.htm

Enjoy and yes lure collecting is extremely addictive lol lol

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

loomis
Expert
Expert

Post by loomis » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for the link Roger...I will go through it all after the Union and NRL is finished.

Leigh.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:59 am

Leigh,
according to a site I use for Bomber info (mostly wood stuff)
"Type 5 - They have cardboard bottoms and plastic sleeve covers. They come in two sizes and many variations to house different kinds of Bomber Bait Co. lures. They were used from 1962 on"
Unfortunately I can't find a Bomber site which focuses on the later plastic models, and my books don't go into detail on aging bomber's by fittings, eyes etc.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:24 am

Awesome lures very nice set but my vision is blurred send for closer look lol lol nahnah nahnah

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:21 am

i think these are bombers also I do not collect them but they were a nice colour cww lol

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:50 am

@Mully . . .

All Bomber lures with top two being 'Waterdogs' and the bottom three being original Bombers;

thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

MXB

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 am

I hope that you folks will notice on the website there that there are NO Bombers with L-rig hardware.

If ONE of you have seen that in a collector book....please qoute the author....book title....etc... punchfrom
MXB wrote:@loomis . . .

Here's a link that might explain a bit about Bomber lures and their history for you . . .

http://www.txknothead.com/bombers.htm

Enjoy and yes lure collecting is extremely addictive lol lol

Roger

howdy

Return to “Bomber Lures”