Helin Flutterfish- Flash in the Pan

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Helin Flutterfish- Flash in the Pan

Post by Marrakai » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Who remembers the Helin Flutterfish?

This lure burst onto the fishing scene sometime in the 1970s IIRC, and like many other keen young fishos at the time I raced out to buy one and give it a try.

Alas, after several enthusiastic swims without success it was unceremoniously dumped in the bottom drawer....

....to finally surface now some 30 years later for us to have a chuckle over! Image

I probably still have the instruction sheet for this lure (jig?) tucked away somewhere, I know I kept it at the time.
It was full of diagrams on how to retrieve the thing, and allow it to repeatedly sink to set up the unique 'flutter' action.
Maybe someone here has a brochure they could scan for our education? It was quite something!

Perhaps the Flutterfish worked in Canada/USA better than Oz?
Don't know for how long it was made but its import into Australia was rather short-lived....
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Re: Helin Flutterfish- Flash in the Pan

Post by Marrakai » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Just found this advert in a 1971 'Australian Outdoors' magazine.
It shows one of the nifty 'how to use' illustrations that covered the leaflet packaged with the original lure.

<click to enlarge>
Flutterfish.jpg
But now I'm confused:-
It implies that the Flutterfish was made in Perth, WA, by Otter Fishing Lures, and distributed by Charles Alvey, Bill Jolly, and Sankey Corp.
There is no mention of Helin in the advert. Was this lure originally made by Helin of Canada, or Otter of Western Australia?
Perhaps my memory has played tricks on me, due to the similarity between Flatfish and Flutterfish!
...it was ~40 years ago, after all!

Can any of you knowledgeable sand-gropers shed any light on this?

ps: If I was mistaken, I blame the grog...! Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

rivermandave

Re: Helin Flutterfish- Flash in the Pan

Post by rivermandave » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:52 am

I just did a Google search for "Helin Flutterfish"...and this Forum is the ONLY place to find the name, so ???

Since you have that flyer...and there's no mention of Helin on it....I gotta believe that they are the original Mfg's

At the same time though....a search for "Otter Fishing Lures" + Perth got zero hits too punchfrom lol

The NFLCC site has '61 and '65 catalogs there....but alas....the lure is not in them -duh

Return to “Helin”