Various old wooden flatfish

MXB
Master
Master

Various old wooden flatfish

Post by MXB » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Heres some interesting old wooden flatfish lures in various sizes some with early hangers;
phpQZRHZlAM.jpg
phpZXfnYAPM.jpg
phpPeNRJEPM.jpg
howdy

MXB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Re: Various old wooden flatfish

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 am

Mate, awesome collection of old flatfish .... any idea how old they are or when they went from wood to plastic ???
Cheers Rob

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Reel-Nut wrote:Mate, awesome collection of old flatfish .... any idea how old they are or when they went from wood to plastic ???
Hi Rob . . . there seems to be two types of early wooden flatfish with the early hangers being about late 1930's/1940's?? but only guessing. Slightly different body shape than later plastic models . . . smoother and more streamlined.

I rate flatfish as in the Top 5 best actions of any lures ever and just focus on collecting wooden ones now . . . getting close to a full set of early hanger orange spot models but still a few short . . . will post in the future.

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:30 pm

Awesome work, didn't realise they were that old .... gotta say you are right about the action, very unique. We used to use them a lot flat trolling and downrigging Jindabyne in the 90's, just gotta get the speed way down.

Look forward to seeing the final collection thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Excellent trout lures on the troll (slow, slow, slow) and I've used them in rivers actually catching fish in rapids by feeding out the little floating F4, F5 size, lifting the rod slightly so that they just sit there in the wash, feeding out again, lift the rod, feed out . . . etc etc.

Lake/Dam trout will take larger sizes and I always have a few beaten up ones in the tacklebox. I've used in Eucumbene and Jindy with success

MXB

thumbsupsmilie

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Late post, but thought I might toss-up a pic of my timber flatfish as well.
Nearly all quads!

The orange T4 came in the correct box, and an unfinished timber blank is included.
I think it was probably a factory reject as the tow-point recess is a bit off-centre.

Plenty of plastics as well, but the early woods are far more interesting IMHO!

If only we could stop the bibs from cracking!
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:17 am

OK, last one!

Just added a timber F6 to the group. Actually thought I was buying a plastic one. Pleasantly surprised to find it was wood when it arrived!
Motive was nostalgia again:- I had a plastic F6 in this colour pattern when I was about 12, caught a stack of redfin on it in Sth Qld, then lost it somewhere.....
Got the warm and fuzzies adding this one to the display cabinet. Image
Flatfish_F6_timber.jpg
It doesn't take up much room!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:24 am

Tony,
Where abouts in Sth Qld did you chase Redfin ???
I hadn't heard they were in any of our rivers yet zippedsmilie

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Brad:
From memory, a couple of streams outside Stanthorpe where I lived at the time (I lived there twice as a kid, 2 years each time!),
and a dam that provided water to a butter-factory in a small town not too far away, can't remember the name anymore.
We also travelled into northern NSW of course, but I'm fairly certain those locations were north of the border.

While the litle flatfish worked well, my favourite lure for redfin was the Hardy 'Imp' spoon, and small black'n'gold Celtas were dynamite too.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “Helin”