my favourite helin L9

diemai
Master
Master

Re: my favourite helin L9

Post by diemai » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Guess , that this is the largest around(along with the smallest) , it is stamped "Kwikfish" , almost 22 cm stretched out . Found it on a fleamarket about 1 month ago .

Is it even a "Helin" ?

greetz , diemai howdy
HELIN_01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 am

The Kwikfish was made mainly by Luhr Jensen.

I have a similar sized one that is printed on the back - "We don't use the F* word around here" a direct contrast with the Flatfish with which they were often confused.

The hook on the middle joint may be a later addition - I think that it would affect the action and I would take it off if I were fishnig with it.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:10 pm

@ Jigmaster

Seems , that I was confused about them as well lol , they really do look the same entirely !

Think , that I have seen a catalog pic of that large jointed before...it does come with the center hook like that , such lures have the most violent wobble , anyway , especially the jointed versions .

greetz , Dieter howdy

RogerG
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by RogerG » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:24 pm

A few of mine.

Poke not at Dragons! For thou art crunchie and taste like chicken!

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:27 pm

@ RodgerG

Fine lures you've got there........indeed ! clapclap clapclap

Should I say , that I' envious.....?

..............Noooooo droolsmilie droolsmilie droolsmilie

lol lol lol lol lol lol

greetz , diemai thumbsupsmilie

RogerG
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by RogerG » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:07 pm

A couple of tiny ones

Poke not at Dragons! For thou art crunchie and taste like chicken!

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:06 pm

G'day Mully .Can you tell me what the differance is between the F censored fish & a kwikfish and go easy on me i'm only a greenhorn remember lol .What have i got
flatfish.jpg
the top ones from the left have T 55 the next T 50,on their backs ,the all siver has M 2 on the bib,the frog patern hasX 4 and the small clear looking one F 6 only gusing but would these ones be F censored fish and the others Kwikfish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:23 pm

diemai wrote:Guess , that this is the largest around(along with the smallest) , it is stamped "Kwikfish" , almost 22 cm stretched out . Found it on a fleamarket about 1 month ago .

Is it even a "Helin" ?

greetz , diemai howdy
HELIN_01.JPG
i think the jointed one is a kwikfish by luhr jensen mate

laz wrote:G'day Mully .Can you tell me what the differance is between the F censored fish & a kwikfish and go easy on me i'm only a greenhorn remember lol .What have i got
flatfish.jpg
the top ones from the left have T 55 the next T 50,on their backs ,the all siver has M 2 on the bib,the frog patern hasX 4 and the small clear looking one F 6 only gusing but would these ones be F censored fish and the others Kwikfish

The kwikfish normally started with the "k" before the number but im a novice also so i never presume to know it all [ever] but to my recall kwickfish was the k the rest were helin's stable ...Also variations in hook style and hook eyes are also visible

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:09 am

A BIT MORE HISTORY BETWEEN THE FLATFISH AND KWICKFISH

Many years back the pioneer fishermen on the Niagara River, the Helin Flatfish was the main, tried and true artificial bait for catching limits of smallmouth bass. Classed in the "banana bait" family, Helin Flatfish it was truly the bait of choice.

The original Flatfish was developed by Charles Helin in the 1930's. Today it is owned by the Yakima Bait Co., Yakima Washington, makers of the famous Worden's Rooster tail and other well known hard baits.

In the late 70's, early 80's, when trout and salmon were introduced to Lake Ontario, the Lower Niagara River soon became a hotspot for salmonoid activity due to its flow and exceptionally oxygenated water. In the 1980's smallmouth bass started showing up in great numbers too, and the yellow perch population was exploding both in the lake and the river. Then, along came the newly introduced Coho's and Kings. Shore fishermen cast the Acme Little Cleo's and the Acme K. O. Wobblers for these "new" denizens' of the not too deep. Acme was founded in 1952 and making 'Cleo's since 1980 and found instant success with the 2/5 ounce silver/blue in the Niagara. Following them was the newly introduced at the time, Blue Fox Super Vibrax, # 4 and $5 Sizes. Vibrax is still hot for shore fishermen. They also have proved their value on Northern Pike in some areas too.

Boat fishermen started using Helin Flatfish to a high degree of success because they worked on the smallmouth, why not the salmon in the river? They worked. Flatfish are historically a fine bait indeed. Colors offered were numerous.

Then along came a couple of young guys that were at the Toronto Sportsman Show one March and they got interested in a demo of the Kwikfish that resembled the Helin Flatfish except the hook arrangement was a little bit different. They bought the "show special" and found they caught as many fish as the original flatfish did and they were easier on the pocketbook. At the show they were like "5 for 6". Flatfish at the same time sold for $2.95 each.

The Kwikfish was developed and manufactured by Val Breitenstein in Winsor Ontario. Oh, yes, his son's name is "Brett" and the lures were shipped out of Detroit MI. [Ren Cen Station]

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:18 am

@ Mully

Thanks a lot for your info ,.........just interesting ! yay

greetz , diemai howdy

Return to “Helin”