I picked up yet another weirdo, "The Uslan"

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

I picked up yet another weirdo, "The Uslan"

Post by Charged » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 pm

I haven't yet played with it much, but will try to post some more pics of its dissection as I rebuild it. My hope is that I will be able to turn it into a functioning well oiled fish catching machine.
Here are a few pics to start things off.

As of now I think the reel is fully functional, but incredibly stiff, most likely due to years of dried up grease. I'm looking forward to tearing this oddball apart.

diemai
Master
Master

Re: I picked up yet another weirdo, "The Uslan"

Post by diemai » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:58 pm

A very weird design , indeed thumbsupsmilie !

I'm not into reels that much , but from a technical standpoint this thing is very interesting , ...really looking forward to some disassembly pictures , as I never figured out , how it works .

The line would pass through that little extention on top of the spool housing there , won't it ?

And is this really a kinda ball bearing surounding the bottom of the spool housing ?
If so ,I don't think that it is very smart to leave a ball bearing open like this vulnerable against dust and water !

But it looks like a perfectly preserved vintage reel , ......with some careful disassembly of all parts , thorough cleaning and de-greasing and brandnew lubrification afterwards you'd surely get it going well again , ......though I can't imagine , that it would make up for good casting performance .

Good luck , thanks for sharing Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 am

Diemai, Here is another pic so you can see a little better how it functions.

Its closer to functional design than you were originally thinking. That little black protrusion is a button that when depressed slides the line pickup bail out of the way so that typical spinning reel casting can be a accomplished. Its spring loaded, and engages the bail when handle is turned. In this picture the reel is in casting mode. What looked to be ball bearings at the base of the spool is actually the drag adjustment dial.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:36 pm

@ Charged

Looks like I've been totally mislead , mate lol , thanks a lot for putting it right and posting another pic , ......guess , I'ts hard to figure out about technical functions just by pictures , .....men need to feel and handle to understand lol !

Nevertheless a great gem you've discovered there , probably not only from a technical standpoint ?

Cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “VINTAGE FISHING REELS GENERAL DISCUSSIONS”