Mitchell London Centrepin/Fly reel - Mystery

MXB
Master
Master

Mitchell London Centrepin/Fly reel - Mystery

Post by MXB » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 am

Hi all . . .

This one has me baffled and I can find no reference to it anywhere. Not even sure what the spool is made from. XStrong clicker, brass handles, no markings other than on the centre of the reel.

Any information greatly appreciated
phpqM05YcPM.jpg
phpYosjntPM.jpg
php7TFx1WPM.jpg
MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

spod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Mitchell London Centrepin/Fly reel - Mystery

Post by spod » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi,
I've got two of these reels that I picked up at a market and, like you I'm a little puzzled by them as I cannot find anything about them either. The fellow that I bought them off had alot of brass reproduction items that I think may have come from India as that country produces alot of reproduction antiques, especially made from brass. This may be where they originated, not London, England but I could be wrong. I quite like them and have used one on an old Black Queen Deluxe rod when I've gone trout fishing with a cane creel and an old Alvey bakelite tackle box with minimum tackle. I find the line guard a bit flimsy and have contemplated removing it. One of my reels spins quite smoothly but the other shudders and wobbles pretty badly. They may not be as well made as the English Grice and Young centrepin reel that I have but they're still fun to use.
Cheers,
Steve

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 am

@ spod . . .

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

I think you are right about the made in India thing as I have since found out since posting this that there was made reference to the markings as Mitchell London being Indian repros or copies.

Not sure what they are a copy of but glad to hear that they actually functionas a fishing reel thumbsupsmilie

Mine turns quite well and looks like it could be used and also a fan of the old centrepin reels

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

spod
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by spod » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi MXB,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum. I think the Mitchell, London name on the spool locking screw may be just a name made up by the manufacturer in India. They may have known the name "Mitchell" and thought that it was a reel manufacturer in England not France, where Mitchell threadline reels come from ( or at least did, not sure if they've gone to China like just about every other tackle manufacturer ).
Centrepin reels are a bit addictive. I've probably got about ten at last count, mostly OZ made ones. Fun to use.
I bought a couple of tackle boxes full of lures a few years at a garage sale. Spent many happy hours sorting them out. All sorts of weird lures, including some huge Murray Cod aeroplane spinners.
Cheers,
Steve

Return to “VINTAGE FISHING REELS GENERAL DISCUSSIONS”