Daiwa Reel Handle Bearing Replacement

Des
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Daiwa Reel Handle Bearing Replacement

Post by Des » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi there
I have a Certate 2004 and decided to change the handle to a cork one, but when I took the handle a part the bearing nearest to the shaft has been affected by rust (salt water). I didn't think that the salt water could get in. The other bearing at the end of the handle is fine.

Anyway would anyone know how to remove the bearing (nearest to the shaft) because I can not get it out (stuck firmly in place) or do I have to buy a replacement handle (because maybe the bearing is constructed into the handle?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Desmond

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:06 pm

it is definatly removable Des, i would suggest soaking the handle in Inox But this may soak into the cork as well...sit the handle with the bearing facing up and put a few drops of inox on the edge of the bearing to allow it to penetrate the rusted area, leave for a day and repeat it if your able too. you then have to get it out...if you out the cork back on the shaft up side down you mighe be about to use the shaft (off center) to push it out.

Des
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Des » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Ok, I will try it. Thanks.

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Deskept reading your post a few times & still not clear as to which shaft you are refering to ??

I did however goggle up a pic of the reel.

I have pulled apart hundreds of reels so am pretty clued on how to do so & have come across some real bitch of reels.

B4 I make any suggestions wouldn't mind a Q or 2 2 answered just to be sure of the bearing you are refering to & @ present I'm assuming it's one of the bearings in the reels case ??????????????????????????????????

Reason I ask is that specs on your reel are

The endurance: 10 ball bearings. Four being CRBB and the rest sealed stainless steel

ps] the Stainless bit is somewhat disputable but thats another story

Now when a reel has that many bearing the handle itself also has a couple of bearings & that's what I'd like to clear up, dont think you're refering to it

I'm assuming that you've got yourself a new full handle ????????????

Des
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Des » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Bloodworm
Not a new handle just the orginal one. I am talking about the bearings (x2) that are located inside each end of the plastic handle. I was about to replace the plastic with cork.

Des

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:21 pm

As I said earlier I had to google up a pic of the reel to get an idea of the handle

I'm still a bit confused as to how you're gou're going to swap over the hadle [grip] cause that's what I'm assuming that you're going to do & that part of the handle is swaged on & cant be undone unless you drill out the pin or Daiwa have a system I'm not aware of ???????

Bearings & grip are assembled then the handle is swagged

Now if you've cut away the old handle to expose the bearings & intend glueing or pinning the new cork handle on you'd want to attend the that not so good bearing 1st.

No probs it being stuck to the shaft but if there's gunk/rust in the bearing, remove handle from reel if you haven't done so allready put some olive oil in a old pot & boil up the oil with the handle inside remove work the bearing , re-dip again etc etc till bearing is clean & your happy with it.

Machine oil is better than olive oil but it smells the house out unless you've got a primus cooker in the garage.

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Daiwa moved away from the swaging of the handles ones they released the Real Four concept...#4 - real custom
thus allowing after market tinkering with other real four compatible components...

So under that motto of real custom they started adding a screw in feature for the handles (located under to end cap) thus allowing the end user to chose alternate handle grips. 'I' , 'T', woodies, IZE factory & bass art gear ect.

only differenace is some handles come as standard allowing only 1 bearinf to be fitted in the top of the grip, TD SOL for example, where the Tierra has the handle stem machined further to accomodate a 2nd bearing, 1 in the tip and 1 in the bottom of the handle (Des's problem area)

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 pm

I'm just about to toof off & am curious so I'll have a looky @ the tackle shop @ one of them whilst I'm there out of curiosity.

Either way dipping the bearings in to hot oil really cleans them up have saved many a bearings using that method.

Liquifying grease also works & alot beeter I might add but alot more messy but the advantage of it is that when the grease solidifies you've got instant packing of the bearing

Return to “Daiwa”