Brass "VINTAGE" fly reel

Forum rules
THIS AREA IS FOR INVESTIGATION OF LURES AND TACKLE BY FELLOW MEMBERS IF YOU INDEED THINK A PARTICULAR PIECE IS A FAKE THEN POST A PICTURE OF THE ITEM ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS MAY BE MADE OR PERSONAL DETAILS GIVEN OUT WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING "POLICING" JUDGEMENTS BUT RATHER A INFORMED DECISION FROM THE MAJORITY OF MEMBERS ABOUT ITS TRUE IDENTITY OR ORIGINS
fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Brass "VINTAGE" fly reel

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:03 am

Just came across a listing that caught my eye. Did a quick search and found the following info...

ABBU ZEIS MADE IN SWITZERLAND
brass reproduction flyreel made in India
This is one of many reproduction reels available on the market.
They can also include the markings "Mitchell London" Dax Lyon Paris" and "Horton USA"

The ABBU bit was what caught the eye, as it should have said ABU. Should have caught on quicker where it came from, wasn't ABBU the name of the elephant in some story from the sub-continent lol

Now we have to watch out for feckin reproduction crap zippedsmilie

AHHHHRRRGGGGHHHH

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

MXB
Master
Master

Re: Brass "VINTAGE" fly reel

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:33 am

@fishaholics . . .

Brad . . . I've seen these reels pop up from time to time and the original Swiss made reels are nickel plated and silver in colour. They do unfortunately reach stupid amounts sometimes even for the Indian reproductions. You have however answered a question about a reel that found its way to me and was marked 'Mitchell London' - I think I may have posted it asking if anyone knew anything about it. I now know it is another Indian reproduction as it was definitely not made by Mitchell in either the past or modern era. I'll find the thread and post the link to show others what to look out for.

And yes its a minefield of Indian and Chinese copies flooding all sorts or markets . . . it seems reels are not exempt zippedsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:41 am

Here's the original posting . . . as I said then it had me baffled!!

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=321&t=6144

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi roger,
you might be on the right track there, I just compared the centre bosses on both reel, the layout and font are VERY similar
repro fonts.JPG

Cheers Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Return to “WHAT`S A FAIR PRICE & IS IT REAL”