Split cane 3

Forum rules
THIS AREA IS FOR INVESTIGATION OF LURES AND TACKLE BY FELLOW MEMBERS IF YOU INDEED THINK A PARTICULAR PIECE IS A FAKE THEN POST A PICTURE OF THE ITEM ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS MAY BE MADE OR PERSONAL DETAILS GIVEN OUT WE ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING "POLICING" JUDGEMENTS BUT RATHER A INFORMED DECISION FROM THE MAJORITY OF MEMBERS ABOUT ITS TRUE IDENTITY OR ORIGINS
aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Split cane 3

Post by aussbasstony » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 pm

This one is a 4 piece rod and to me it looks like it is a dual action, as in swap the tips for a lighter rod and change to a heavier tip piece.

Anyway Same as above any help would be great !

This one says Jarvis Walker on the Butt !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Split cane 3

Post by Mully » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:23 pm

beautiful rod my grandfather passed one onto me also the old Jarvis walker split canes are worth a bit today ive seen them go for $200 plus easy and the tops are inter changeable as you said

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 pm

mid 1960's Jarvis Walker lawrence
nice rod mate thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Albert

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 am

Agree with both Mully and OCD . . .

Early Jarvis Walker split canes are hitting good dollars . . . one of those rods (looked the same as yours) went for about $170 a couple of months back.

Maybe worth holding onto Tony thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks everyone for the help, I have had it for yonks and just might hang onto it for a little older thumbsupsmilie

Don't know what i'm going to do with them though crazysmilie

Cheers Tony

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Tony
fish with it mate.
get an old Alvey and you are set. clapclap clapclap clapclap

seriously the JW canes are collectible.
they all have names eg Portsea Stanley Mudgee Sealake etc.
haven't come across a cane Black Queen before--I think this come in the glass range.

prices depends on condition, and the decals are pretty important factor. the ones with mint decals and original bindings/guides are more desirable.
the Lawrence you got is pretty good and it is worth around what MXB said. may be more if somebody hasn't got it in their collection.
the older JW has the names engraved into the cane.
the other cane you got could be a Butterworth from Q'sland.

you can start a JW collection mate.

no !!! don't do it crazysmilie crazysmilie crazysmilie

Albert

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 am

Albert . . . you are right and the 'Black Queen' came in solid fibreglass and there was also the 'Black Queen Delux' which I was using as a kid. Had agate guides and was about 9ft in length.

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 am

MXB wrote:Albert . . . you are right and the 'Black Queen' came in solid fibreglass and there was also the 'Black Queen Delux' which I was using as a kid. Had agate guides and was about 9ft in length.

Roger

howdy

Hi Roger
the BQ cost an arm and four legs when it came out. it was in pounds and shillings and it was about 1/4 to 1/3 of the average weekly wage in the early 60's.
that and the Erskine/Erkskine delux were the rods most kids coveted. top of the range stuff.
you were a lucky boy to have a BQ delux.
still use mine for trout--mudeye under a bubble-- watching for the rooster tail when the fish hit---what excitement!!!!

Albert

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:02 am

Albert . . . I was still using it for bubble floating in Eucumbene up until 10 years ago when my father decided to ruin it by painting it and changing guides and covering it with araldite when I was overseas for a few years etc etc (I had spare agate guides and tips for it) zippedsmilie crazysmilie zippedsmilie

I threw it at him and told him to never touch my fishing gear again. I also had another JW that was really expensive that was built on a hollow fibreglass blank with light weight alloy reel seat, cork grips . . . can't remember the name but it was better than the BQ (super light) in my opinion but again the old fool managed to snap that one and changed runners and butchered it too. Threw that one at him as well. I call him the 'Wrecker' and won't let him touch anything because anything he touches comes back smashed or broken!!

Great rods as you say . . . for me now just memories catching big trout, a monster carp that went approx 8kg on 6lb line and so many other fish. Wonderful rods

MXB

howdy

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am

he was just trying to help you younguns!!!

I bet your heart did a bit of racing and thumping when the carp hit!!
and then when it came to the top and was thrashing left and right, bending the tip to an impossible curve all you were thinking was "don't you dare break my rod or you died a horrible death, you bbb". which it did anyway when you got the hook out. crazysmilie crazysmilie crazysmilie

Albert

Return to “WHAT`S A FAIR PRICE & IS IT REAL”