Early Ugly Duckling - Ruzno Pace

Ugly Duckling Lures
MXB
Master
Master

Early Ugly Duckling - Ruzno Pace

Post by MXB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:54 am

Hi all . . .

Here is an early Ugly Duckling lure in correctly marked box that was distributed in Canada. These lures are fantastic and one of my favourites with the early bib marked 'Ruzno Pace' and plastic sleeve with gold band marked 'grafopromet technoservis'. The box is also marked Technoservis "SKOPJE" and Ruzno Pace "ORIGINALNI VESTACKI MAMAC".

This is the correctly marked box for the lure and according to the catalogue is the Brown Trout pattern Salmo trutta

These are seriously well made lures with a spectacular finish;
GetAttachment.jpg
Ugly 1.jpg
Ugly 2.jpg
Ugly 3.jpg
I love it

MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Re: Early Ugly Duckling - Ruzno Pace

Post by oldfish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:11 pm

MXB,

That is a seriously pretty Ugly Duckling.

I also like them lots.

Cheers,Jim

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:06 pm

oldfish wrote:MXB,

That is a seriously pretty Ugly Duckling.

I also like them lots.

Cheers,Jim
I've always rated them in my Top 10 lures of all time to be honest because of the action and the quality of finish and construction . . . its a cracker isn't and the only reason I ended up with it was because no one else wanted it over there!!!!! Couldn't believe it!!

Roger

thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:41 pm

@ MXB

Guess , that I have purchased the very same model on a fleamarket the other day(though in a different color) , but it is marked "UGLY DUCKLING" , so must be a later version ,...........have it in my tackle bag for bank fishing now .
Haven't thrown it so far , but your praises got me curious........ thumbsupsmilie !

Anyway , seems , that you have a real gem to your hands thumbsupsmilie !

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 pm

@diemai . . .

Love to see it posted for comparison and troll it deep . . . pike would jump all over it thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

I'm not sure why their action is so good but may have something to do with the bib shape/body shape and they seem to hold up. I used to fish the tiny ones I've posted elsewhere really deep for good trout and for some reason the early ones (Ruzno Pace) swim even better than the more modern ones but are now retired for fear of losing them and never being able to replace them. blahblah blahblah

We can get a large range of the modern Ugly Ducklings over here now but for many years they were hard to find. Keep an eye out for these older ones and snap them up if you see them . . .

I would love to know more about the specifics of their manufacture but there has never been much info about them ??? ???

MXB

howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm

@ MXB

Shame on me , Roger , ...... crazysmilie -duh smckin , I was badly mistaken , ........I do not have a version of this particular lure !

Checked the threads again , ........mine look different , they don't have this "coffin bill" , that yours has , but only round bibs !

Should have looked before smckin , ..........only the body shape seems to be the same , posted these in another thread before .

sorry , mate oopssmilie .........greetz , Dieter howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 pm

@Diemai . . . .

lol lol lol lol lol lol No need to spank yourself!!!

All the earlier ones have this sort of squarish shaped front to the bib OR 'coffin bib' as you call it (good description) . . . the bibs changed later

MXB

thumbsupsmilie

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:51 pm

@ MXB

"coffin bill" is an American term , learned it on "Tackleunderground" .

It normally describes a bib with those angled and straight side egdes , having its widest portion somewhere in center of the protruding part of the bib and with is tip cut straight off , not rounded .
But some also use it for a bib , that has its widest portion at tip level , but still the tip edge is straight .

I guess , that it causes a bait to swing harder and more pronounced to either side , but if it turns out too wide compared to the width of the lure blank , it may kill any wobble and only cause the bait to dig straight down .
Especially happens with the second option above , if the bib was also tapered downward the tip , the problem does not occur as often .

greetz , Dieter howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:58 pm

@Diemai . . .

Very interesting about the bib shape and naming as I have seen this style of bib on other lures but can't seem to remember which ones -duh -duh

Most of the Ruzno Pace lures seem to have a deep diving 'shimmy' action . . . a really tight shimmy with a little wide body movement and no body roll that resembles a swimming baitfish. They create a tight pulse on the rod tip and track deep and strong . . . I suppose that relates to the slim body profile as they are quite skinny.

I experimented with making lures with these shaped bibs many years ago with some lures working really well and others having the action 'killed' as you suggest. I gave up due to the uncertainty of the results. crazysmilie crazysmilie

Need a degree in engineering and physics to even predict the results lol lol

MXB

howdy

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Or you have to be dumb enough to spend many, many hours watching lures go past trying to make enough sense to put into books!!! lol lol lol

A little bit of difference in bib angle etc can make a big difference in lure action!!!

Return to “Ugly Duckling Lures”