Rob Gaden R.M.G. Peter Newell

RMG Lures
Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Rob Gaden R.M.G. Peter Newell

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 am

G'Day Fella's & I'm guessing some Girls,
As most of you know, i have only been aware of the site for a short while. I log on every now and then and fumble my way
around ( im computer hadicapped ) . Everyone has , and is entitled to their own opinion. I appreciate all comments that
have defended me , and im also big enough to take the "knockers". I dont want you blokes to get too agro with each other
regarding different personal opinions Re: me and Peter Newells designs.
I was making lures for several years before i ever met Peter, BUT i will be the first to admit , that Peter had the greatest
influence on me and my lure making. He was my hero and i mentor , and showed me how to improve my lures and lure making.
Peter showed me the finer art of carving a bit of timber and aluminium into a sellable item.
I will be forever in debt to him for his knowledge and eagerness to help me during our good years together. Fortunately and
unfortunately his original designs and shapes have played a large part in my lure making. Some of my lures carry many
similarities to Peters designs, and i have never denied this, But i have also designed alot of lures that carry NO resemblence
to his lures, and these have also been very successful.
The fact that my some of my early lure do ressemble Peter's Scorpion , is part due to the fact that i spent so much time with
him and talking about lures with him , it just seem to happen unconciously , also it probably the greatest lure design in recent
history. So many of my lures had characturistic's of that lure ( Not all ) It may only seem like a minor change , but almost all of
my lures of that era were deep diving fresh/water lures, not high speed minnows.
As i said before , Peter was the single biggest influence of my lure making . And i could not think of a better teacher , but
all students have the same opportunity , some go further , some drop out , I decided to try my luck and it worked out.
I doubt that there is a lure in the market place today that does not ressemble another lure in some way. Just like modern cars
on the road today , they all have wheels ( as do most lures , have bibs & trebles ) at a distance of 200 metres , I cannot tell if
its a Holden or Ford comming toward me.
If ive cofused you with my rambling, then i am sorry. I just think that the Lures & More website was set up for the purpose of
men , women , luremad collectors, fishermen and so on the have contact with like-minded people all over the country. What a
great concept, hats off and cheers to Mully for doing it. Hope you all take advantage of the site for the purpose that it was
intended.
To the people that have defended me , "Thanks" . And to those who want to knock me , I'll take it on the chin !!

Good luck & good fishing to all of you Rob Gaden
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Rob Gaden R.M.G. Peter Newell

Post by Mully » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 am

Rob to take the time to write this has really opened my eyes to your honesty and courage to explain when many would not.As you said the site is to gain knowledge good or bad many makers have copped flack here and probably still will i have no doubt of this the ones who ride it through and realise that many more respect them are a true asset to the site and have my total respect.I have had arguments with many makers some even accuse me of contributing to help others promote copied stuff and abused me very very harshly i wont mention them but they know who they are and they should get over it.My honest opinion whilst staying away from all the gossip and here say is that the business would be very hard and een harder if influenced by great men to make original shapes as everything looks similar there is soo much out there that looks very very similar and some not all are not intentional just like mentioned a rub off of a particular shape that has worked or caught fish for them.
I ramble more than anyone and try to get an opinion across many times with no luck ive been accused of many things also copies of other forums copies of this and that and even threatened to be sued for an opinion to them i say maddd sorry i know im innocent and no fishing forum can be totally different it is about fishing after all how many variations before something similar is made...
Rob you have my total respect as does Peter and all the lure makers here. I dont get involved in behind the scene gossip as many a time its been a over exaggerated story but i will listen and have a say, its they way others take it that matters as its my opinion only you decide how it influences you no one can make a decision for you.

Anyway thanks Rob for taking the time to write this as mentioned you have my respect bowsmilie

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 am

Well said Rob bowsmilie , my appoligies to you.
Tagged and Released

Baz

Post by Baz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 am

Well said Rob.Good to see some Aussie spirit shining through with comments like "I'll take it on the chin".Top stuff.Personally, I love your lures and although you can see similarities between some of your lures and Peter's lures, there are many that have their own style and shape.I just wish you were still making the old timber Biggoons,Cobra's,Rellik Doc's etc. thumbsupsmilie
Any chance of going back into timber lures at all?

Cheers, Baz

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 am

Baz wrote:Well said Rob.Good to see some Aussie spirit shining through with comments like "I'll take it on the chin".Top stuff.Personally, I love your lures and although you can see similarities between some of your lures and Peter's lures, there are many that have their own style and shape.I just wish you were still making the old timber Biggoons,Cobra's,Rellik Doc's etc. thumbsupsmilie
Any chance of going back into timber lures at all?

Cheers, Baz
Thanks Fella's, and as far as timber lures go......If im still around in 10 years , I should be getting close to a pension
( bloody hell !!!!! something free from the government ) anyway if i make it that far , I'll need to do something other
than try to catch a fish or two , so i might pull the stanley knife out and have a play. NO PROMISES Rob
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 pm

clapclap clapclap clapclap clapclap clapclap clapclap
Well spoken fella's.

Bullrout.
you said you would post them in a couple of days...
Do you still have my address?
Laurie.

RJFisher
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by RJFisher » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Well spoken Rob and its great to see another luremaker on this great site. thumbsupsmilie
I grew up using RMG's, having had more access to them than Peter's great lures where I lived, and still love using 'em. I lost one of your earlier Scorpions to a rock in Darwin Harbour last September that I'd had for years, one not replicated by Halco these days. I dunno what i was thinking using it but I was absolutely censored for days after!!! crazysmilie thubsdown -duh cccc

Anyway, to learn lessons from a master craftsman such as Peter and incorporate them with your own talent to become successful is exactly what a mentor/student relationship is all about. That said, as you say you were making lures well before you knew Peter so you were no rookie. I dare say Peter probably learnt a thing or two from you too Rob! thumbsupsmilie

I think we should all be grateful for the privilege of seeing some of Peter's luremaking legacy living on in the considerable talents of Rob Gaden and numerous others rather than getting hysterical about who came up with what or merely drooling over the collections of those lucky enough to possess some of Peter's brilliant lures or rich enough to pay the increasingly censored censored prices on Ebay to get them whilst sh*t canning the creations of others! shockedsmilie

Well done Rob. Now, about those wood whittling creations in the future......... yay yay yay thumbsupsmilie

Cheers.
Rohan

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Rohan
What was the lure that you lost?
Laurie.

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Dave
stop teasing me.
Are you going to POST them or KEEP them.. lol lol lol

ropes.basstard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ropes.basstard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:08 pm

Rob all I can add is that I have a stash of your wooden Cobras, Rellic Docs etc in various colours and sizes (plus your later stuff of course) and they are simply brilliant! I talk to my adopted children often. I've also got a similar stash of Peter's lures, which I also treasure equally. I don't care what anyone says, both you guys produced some of the best lures around.

Return to “RMG Lures”