Depose France

Other Europe Lures Not Listed
Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Depose France

Post by Marrakai » Sat May 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Dropped in to the local op-shop this morning where a bag of miscellaneous rubber lures for ten bucks caught my eye. Amongst the assorted rubbish was a half-dozen brand-new Manns rubbers, still with tubing on the hooks, and a little-used 'pink thing' saltwater fly in good nick, so I had already broken even. What had really attracted my attention was a little 1 1/2-inch Flopy in passable condition with original tiny double-hooks, but that is another story. When I got home and unpacked the bag, I also found this little unseen gem:

There was a similar lure around when I was a kid, but I never owned one. It was referred to as a Pecos 'Articulated Trout', at least that was the description given to it in the few publications in which it appeared at the time.
It was quite distinctive with the bib on the back, like this one, which has only the words 'Depose France' on the bib.

Is this the same lure? Was 'Articulated Trout' the name on the packaging? Anyone know where the 'Pecos' came from?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Marrakai on Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Fizza

Re: Depose France

Post by Fizza » Sat May 02, 2009 3:11 pm

The other one you refer to I think was made in New Zealand.

I have 1 or 2 here somewhere which I'll try and find and wack a pic up for comparison. thumbsupsmilie

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat May 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks Fizza. Love to see them if possible.
BTW on the lure pictured above there is also the word 'France' molded into each side of the front-body, not really visible in my pics unfortunately.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat May 02, 2009 9:56 pm

Marrakai,
Yes indeed you have there a Pecos Articulated Trout, in absolutely fabulous condition AND in trout color. Depose Fance transates to MADE IN FRANCE.They came in a few sizes, I have 2 so far, but only a small one in trout and its knocked about as well .
Have only seen them mentioned in 1 book circa 1975, other than that I can only assume that there was some tie in with either Rublex or Mitchell importer of the time.

There was a copy made by TEAL lures in New Zealand in the late 60's early 70's, and they are even HARDER to find.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Brad & Marrakai,
Mine is a TEAL if I can locate the bugger. thumbsupsmilie

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Don't remember to have stumbled into this thread before , ......so I could have saved taking the pictures lol !

Got this one on a Hamburg fleamarket today for 50 €cents , the very smallest jointed bait I've ever seen thumbsupsmilie !

Had to utilize magnifiers to read the writing on the bib , also looked up the term "depose" in my(very old) French dictionary , as my French is not that good at all .
It was translated there with "to lay something down" ,........ so I am thinking , that it rather means , that a(patent) file was "layed down" , so "file closed" , thus meaning as much as "patended" , "patent granted" or similar ??? ?

"Made in France" would be "produit en France" , I have seen that term before(not on lures , but food stuff) .

greetz , diemai howdy
TINJOI_01.JPG
TINJOI_02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:25 pm

A bit of searching gives this explaination:
"Occasionally in the world of antiques, you may come across a mark, DEP, which could mean either Depose or Deponiert. This mark is commonly found on German or French bisque dolls, celluloid, porcelain, jewelry, glass or metal goods. Dep stands for the German word Deponiert which means registered, or copyright. Dep is also a shortened form of... Depose which is French for registered...
Without knowing a manufacturer or country of origin, it is safe to say that if your item is marked DEP, it is most likely of French or German manufacture."

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:52 pm

@ fishaholiclures

Thanks for your further information , mate , ....guess , that I've told ya before , that you're an encycloepedia on legs thumbsupsmilie lol !

greetz , diemai howdy

PS :

A little addition on the subject concerning German made items(not neccessarily lures) :

Quite a few carry the marking "DRGM" , wich means "DeutschesReichsGebrauchsMuster" , this term also indicates a certain patent protection .

Looked it up and found , that it came into use by 1877 ,...... and I suppose , that it lasted until 1945 , as the "Third Reich" went down into flames and debris .

The marking was taken over into the young Federal Republic of Germany as from 1949 , but now stated "DBGM" for "DeutschesBundesGebrauchsMuster" .

But I guess , that nowadays it got out of fashion ,..... if I hazard a guess , it must have finally disappeared during the 1970's , ...not familiar to it anymore !
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “Other Europe Lures Not Listed”