Awesome Japanese Trout Minnows

Allsorts
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Awesome Japanese Trout Minnows

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi

This is my first post here - amongst other things this is a great reference site so I thought I'd share something that hasn't been posted about. I came across a Japanese lure fishing style called 'Minnowing Game' when I fished with a Japanese guy who is on secondment to Toyota South Africa. Basically it is the use of minnow lures fished very quickly to generate reaction strikes from trout, char and salmon. My mate has fished this style in Japan obviously as well as NZ, Alaska and now here in South Africa. He mostly uses handmade wooden minnow lures which are beautifully made and have amazing actions which have been tweaked for salmonids - basically they have a very strong rolling action which can handle being fished across current. He uses 2 brands - Tackle House (Twinkle, Mute & Bitstream) & Souls (Balad, Blues Ride & 16 Beat) as well as some truly exquisite minnows made part-time by a friend of his. These are mostly plastic baits but the really interesting ones for me are the handmade wooden plugs like the Ballad & Tackle House Twinkle. I was doing a bit of research and found this awesome site http://japanesehandmadelures.blogspot.com/ which is where I got the picture of the Hotshot - selling for US$1500 or more! The Ballad & Twinkle are very hard to get as quantities are limited and prices high. My mate brought me back my own Twinkle which instantly became my favourite lure (and I've got a few Megabass / Jackall / Gan Craft etc).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Awesome Japanese Trout Minnows

Post by diemai » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:37 pm

@ Allsorts

Welcome to LAM , mate thumbsupsmilie !

Very interesting write-up and link , .........and very nice lures ,..... works of art , indeed thumbsupsmilie , .......thanks a lot for posting bowsmilie ,...............though beyond my own financial possibilities , .......even the commercials from Japan are pretty expensive in local shops .

Maybe better try making my own versions lol : http://www.tacklemaking.com/default.php?pageID=53

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Welcome to L&M and the lures are amazing and of course an amazing price!!

The method you talk about for trout and salmonid fishing is a method that was taught to me many years ago and super fast cranking of minnow style lures works everytime. I've always used replica trout lures like the Rapalas, Rebels with very quick retrieves to get 'reaction strikes' . Works great especially for river fishing in fast moving water and especially in Australia for rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon. The modern lure revolution has gone to the next level in Japan and lures have become more detailed. I shape my own little trout by hand from balsa - much rougher than the Japanese lures but they work a treat

Great link thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:48 pm

The Japanese make simply aswesome lures without peer bowsmilie bowsmilie thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Awesome stuff beautiful lures and welcome to the site i hope you enjoy it here thumbsupsmilie

Allsorts
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Allsorts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 am

Thanks / Vielen dank for the warm welcome. I returned to S.A. last year from a 5 year stint on Mud Island, with the last 3 in Dublin and I'm kicking myself for missing having this technique in my repertoire - all those big brownies missed! Still I had a blast with pike, sea trout, wrasse, perch, chub & other stuff on lure and fly!

I'll post up on some unique SA lures and tactics in the next little while.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 am

ahhh a fellow south aussie may have to catch up for a fish one day im at TTG

Allsorts
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Allsorts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Mully wrote:ahhh a fellow south aussie may have to catch up for a fish one day im at TTG
Hi Mully

Sorry shoud have clarified - SA as in 'SAffa' - these trout we're chasing live in Africa...

Here's a 53cm from last week (on a minkie jig - too much water for the minnows)...sorry 'bout the Lone Ranger effect, too wired to move the Buff off my face!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:10 pm

hmmmmm thats a little further than i thought lol nice fish do you do bank jobs in you spare time lol

Mr Tojo Tackle
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by Mr Tojo Tackle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey LAMs

If anyone is interested we are carrying a good range of the Tackle House gear. As Allsorts points out the gear is really awesome but really unknown in Australia. If you want to have a look at the Tackle House gear just visit us www.mrtojotackle.com.au. We also carry a lot of Ever Green International so there should be something on the site to satisfy all the fresh water fishos out there. Sign up for the Newsletter because we offer great deals from time to time to all newsletter subscribers and often offer sneak peaks before the gear hits the market. We are an Australian owned and based company. All orders are shipped within 24 hours of receipt of orders and are generally delivered the next day some remote areas might take a little longer.

Cheers
Tex McCalpine
Director
Mr Tojo Tackle
www.mrtojotackle.com.au

Return to “Other Japan Lures Not Listed”