True Temper Lures - Great

MXB
Master
Master

True Temper Lures - Great

Post by MXB » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Check these out . . . True Temper Crippled Shad which moves on its side like a wounded fish

And the True Temper Speed Shad with a normal approach to a lure

Truly excellent lures produced from apporximately 1940's through to 1960's
phpcXMim8AM.jpg
phpa6fZelAM.jpg
php6UzoqPAM.jpg
phpRbOdXEAM.jpg

Awesome lures and this is what you need to look for if buying boxed True Tempers

thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

ropes.basstard
Rookie
Rookie

Re: True Temper Lures - Great

Post by ropes.basstard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:39 pm

I've never seen a lure with its own kickstand before. Do you know what is the purpose of the wire? I guess if it hit bottom it could change direction of the lure or is it some form of weed guard?

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Ropes . . . I think its to run the line or trace from the eyelet so that extra action is imparted when the lure moves.

I have an old one I use without the wire thing so I'm not exactly sure but that's what I think its for.

The Crippled Shad darts on its side in the water

thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Sorry MXB - it is a kicker for touching the bottom.

Had a description somewhere - probably in one of Russell Lewis's books that talks a bout it being a weedless and bumper device. With braid it would work as a nice little early warning system.

ropes.basstard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ropes.basstard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks Frank. I've seen a few of these go through e-bay this week. But none I saw had boxes.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Yeh you will see alot of them without boxes which make them In think . . . I have about 10 others unboxed with a tiny version that is only about 8cm long

I'll post some more in coming weeks and yes you are right, the wire thingy is a kicker and not my stupid idea . . .I must have been tired

punchfrom punchfrom punchfrom

crazysmilie lol crazysmilie

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:34 pm

you have some very interesting lures mate this one is another fine example and beaut condition what are they going for nowdays???

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 am

Mully depending on condition MIB up to $US30 -35, Individuals in good used condition (E, E+) about $US8 - 10. I reckon they're good value actually

Beware when buying because the earlier ones date back to the 1940's from memory and have different markings and are more valuable. There are also a lot of beat up ones and they don't look that good beat up! crazysmilie crazysmilie crazysmilie crazysmilie crazysmilie

I just love the old boxes and the different types of stuff that was commercially made at such a high level of skill. These lures are made to last forever!!

ztahoe71
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by ztahoe71 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 pm

How do you determine which ones are the earlier ones? I have one in pearl with a red head. It is made of wood (I am sure of that) which means it was out before the plastic ones. The lip is unmarked. I have seen some on Ebay with marked lips, so I am assuming the unmarked came first? Any insight would be great. Thank you

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi . . .

I've looked in a couple of books and the NFLCC website which has the True Temper catalogues for 1946 however that catalogue looks the same as the 1952 cat in Modern Fishing lure Collectibles Vol 2 - Russel Lewis.

He also states that True Temper formed out of the American Fork and Hoe Company which made Al Foss lures. True Temper purchased the rights to make and market Al Foss lures and added the True Temper Speed Shad and Crippled Shad in 1941 but production was suspended due to the war and didn't resume until 1946 when there was a massive back order of lures (or so the company stated!!). Soon after this they went to making these models from plastic (after 1947).

SO . . . I have no idea but if the plastic bibs are unmarked but if they are I would assume the earlier ones are marked bibs but could be wrong. If its wood its pre 1950. I've seen wooden models with both marked and unmarked bibs.

Bomber also made the Speed Shad and had have had the rights to this lure since 1973 when it was made in plastic

MXB

howdy

Return to “Other U.S. Lures Not Listed”