A Stalwart Story...

Nilsmaster
Marrakai
Guru
Guru

A Stalwart Story...

Post by Marrakai » Sat May 02, 2009 9:51 pm

For many years my mates and I have regarded the little blue-and-white Nilsmaster 'Stalwart' as something of a 'secret weapon' on big barra in saltwater. Fished in the muddy water at the mouths of snake-drains or gutters on the falling tide, or around the rocks at the ends of extensive mudflats on the big low-tides, that lure is dynamite. Hard to believe metre-plus barramundi will absolutely smash those little things, they must be like _lollies!

Anyway, a few years ago now as we know, the small-bib version became unavailable in Australia, being replaced by a model with 'upgraded' bib. Unfortunately that pretty-much buggered the barra-appeal and they became 'just another lure'.

I bought every small-bib Stalwart I could find, eventually losing all my blue-and-white ones, spray-painting the stupid-coloured ones to stay in the game.
Eventually I became perilously low on those too.

Thinking the small-bib version may still be available overseas, I tried to contact Mr Raatikainen at Nilsmaster USA again but he had moved on, so I wrote directly to Nilsmaster-uistin Oy in Finland and got in touch with a fella named Martin. He informed me that the small-bib model was long-gone world-wide, but I had included a photo of a metre-barra caught on a Stalwart in my correspondence and he showed it to the owner of Nilsmaster Lures. The owner, Mr Kangas, wanted to put the photo in the 2009 catalogue, and agreed to make a bunch of small-bib Stalwarts in exchange for the rights to use the photo.

Unfortunately they only had enough materials left at the factory for 12 small-bib lures, so I now have to figure out how to make the last dozen small-bib blue-and-white Stalwarts to be made on the planet ever last me the next 20 or 30 years of hard-fishing! ...minus one for the collection!

BTW the photo is on Page 9 of the Nilsmaster catalogue and Lure Guide for those interested.

Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Fizza

Re: A Stalwart Story...

Post by Fizza » Sun May 03, 2009 12:06 am

Well bloody good onya cobba clapclap clapclap That was very kind & generous of them thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

I've only got 3 of the oldies but not in blue.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun May 03, 2009 12:40 am

@ Marrakai

Cool story ,........hopefully you could still get some second hand ones somewhere to repaint ,.........or try building knock-offs at home !

Losing only ONE lure within 2,5 years is virtually impossible , I guess lol lol ?

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Sun May 03, 2009 12:57 am

Only 1 for the collection !!!! -duh -duh

Sorry you just have to send one down to Perth where I can make sure that those nasty barra donb't get the chance to knock them off!!!

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun May 03, 2009 3:07 pm

@ Marrakai

Very funny ,......just yesterday I've read his story in here and also yesterday I have received a parcel from my Finnish friend also containing that particular flyer with your picture in it , but in Finnish language this time(pictures and layout are seemingly the same) .

greetz , diemai howdy

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Sun May 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Great story mate .Good to see a big company can deal with the little bloke clapclap

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Sun May 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Great story, nice of them to make a special run for you. Like the photo of the battle scarred one.

Shame that you have to ration them, you would have to think long and hard before throwing one.

Falky
Master
Master

Post by Falky » Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 am

yes, well done clapclap and a great read Marrakai

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 pm

"NilsMaster" seems to be quite a customer-friendly company , .........my Finnish friend told me recently , that he once contacted them , since a few of his "Nilsies" had lost their lips(or damaged) ,...... so they replied at first asking him , whether these were the smaller or bigger size and after he specified , sent him some new ones for free to fix up his baits !

greetz , diemai howdy

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 pm

The Nilsmaster guys are certainly top blokes, and they really like Australians. I think we were a significant market for the Invincible when they started them off around 40 years ago. They haven't forgotten!

BTW I was down to my last half-dozen or so replacement bibs (small) before the new Stalwarts arrived.

Keep meaning to check whether they are marked Nils O Master.... ! Image
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “Nilsmaster”