Bagley Priced Right

Jim Bagley`s Lures
Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Bagley Priced Right

Post by Marrakai » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:47 pm

On Thursday last I had occasion to head down to Darwin Harbour's West Arm during work hours to collect some invertebrates for a display on Friday, and while squelching around in a Rhizophora thicket, what should I spy but one of Jim Bagley's 'Bang-O-Lure #2' caught up in a bunch of detritus. It had been there long enough for both trebles to completely rust away, but unbelievably the rust-stains on the split-rings and the little knot of rotten braid on the nose were the only hint that it had not been taken out of the box yesterday! I simply can't believe how well the external finish on that little lure survived! Most lures are completely trashed by the elements by the time the hooks have rusted-off.... and I've seen many like that in my travels.

On the strength of that, and its perfect action when re-fitted with VMCs, I'd love to add a few to my working tackle-box, but sadly the #2 is not listed on the Bagley USA webpage anymore. Are they really gone for good? I'd love to fish this little bugger, but will be compelled to keep him dry if they are already a collector's item!

Marrakai
Australia's Top End

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Bagley Priced Right

Post by simon bruce » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Throw it catch a fish, in your case I think a barra would be appropriate, and then retire it.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Re: Bagley Priced Right

Post by fishaholiclures » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:37 pm

Marrakai,
I am pretty certain the small versions of the Bang O lure went out when Jim Bagley sold the company to Bill Stuart Lures in about 1990. A lot of the classic Bagley lure models disappeared whenthe amalgamation happened.
I have a couple of the #2 and I reckon there is not much between them and the F5 Rapala as a small minnow lure. Must have something to do with the balsa I think.

KEEP IT OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Return to “Bagley`s”