WW2 Red lipped Jitterbug w/ Box + Catalogue

MXB
Master
Master

Re: WW2 Red lipped Jitterbug w/ Box + Catalogue

Post by MXB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks Laz and Producers produce!!

Update on plastic lipped Jitterbugs. I did some research and they were made between 1942 - 1946 and the first Jitterbug was released in 1939

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi all . . .

Heres another couple of early Jitterbugs . . . a plastic lip circa WW2 with different belly hardware to earlier one I posted in the box. I have now seen 4 different types of belly hardware on these WW2 models with earliest being the 's' bend hardware

The other one is an early one too (post WW2) without the patented lip . . . no patent markings on it at all and with the early big eyes
phpp0MtrmPM.jpg
phpEH2qZYPM.jpg
MXB

howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Brad I tried the producer "jitterbug" many years ago when they where first introduced. I found then that I could not get them to jitter directly from a stand still, it took a couple of turns of the reel to get them going, unlike the Arbogast which jittered immediately. I found I had to shorten the tow point on the producer, it then worked correctly. I take it that this not the case nowadays. Nev

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:49 pm

mmmmmmmmmmm i have a few stashed away but they are old and paints cracked not to mention the woods petrifying ,,love them they are an awesome lure thumbsupsmilie

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 pm

neb wrote:Brad I tried the producer "jitterbug" many years ago when they where first introduced. I found then that I could not get them to jitter directly from a stand still, it took a couple of turns of the reel to get them going, unlike the Arbogast which jittered immediately. I found I had to shorten the tow point on the producer, it then worked correctly. I take it that this not the case nowadays. Nev
I actually agree with Nev on this although there does seem to be some variation in the action . . . the Producers are good lures but do take a bit of time to get going and did come in a wide range of colours and they were cheap. I actually had one that lost the tow attachment and I would attach with a light snap lock. Worked perfectly although they will corrode fast if using them in salt (bream smash them early morning)

Still got a few in my tackle box . . . nothing like the originals tho'

MXB

howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:00 pm

@ neb , @ MXB

I have also read somewhere , that anglers were not that satisfied with those wartime plastic lips , as these , due to their minor weight compared to the metal ones , did not shoulder as well into the water , so the noise generated wasn't quite the same !

nice lures and vintage flyers in here , ..........greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:49 am

Nice lure in the box for SURE clapclap

I have around 15 of the plastic lipped ones thumbsupsmilie

In case you guys didn't know....Arbogast came out with a clear lipped version in the early '80's.

There also was a company in the late 1960's called Atlantic Lures. You can find catalogue pages of them on the NFLCC site....and you will see these. On the lip it will say "Atlantic Frantic Antic".

I have a collection of their stuff that I will be selling in the near future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rivermandave

Post by rivermandave » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 am

Here's another site that has some good Jitterbug info. THe hardware section at the bottom of this page is truly useful howdy

http://www.tacklecollecting.com/olderji ... colors.htm

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:03 pm

That's a great Jitterbug resource, RMD.

Thanks for posting the link.

...still got a couple of hardware types to find to complete the set! (first and fifth....) Image
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:11 am

Hi all . . .

I was lucky enough to acquire this nice little set of WW2 plastic lipped Jitterbugs recently in my favourite frog spot colour. Two different types of hardware on these and one with the Jitterbug stamp on the side of the lure - don't know where these fit in to the picture but it has early hardware. Early Hula Poppers also had the stamp on the side too. The very earliest Jitterbugs had no stamping from my understanding;

Any how enjoy;
phpvi1FOSPM.jpg
php9DLr4zPM.jpg
MXB

howdy

Return to “Fred Arbogast”