WW2 Red lipped Jitterbug w/ Box + Catalogue

MXB
Master
Master

WW2 Red lipped Jitterbug w/ Box + Catalogue

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am

As promised heres some photos of a World War 2 Red lipped Jitterbug in a early 'Dope Box' in all black (my personal favourite J/Bug colour due to contrast in water and silhouette)

For anyone who doesn't know why these had plastic lips (Laz talked about it in the Nude Jitterbug forum), it was a direct result of the shortage of metals due to the war machine which was converting all raw materials into weapons and machinery between 1939 -45.The government put a ban on metals supply except for limited exemptions to essential industry and lures were probably not high priority at the time!! Must have really pissed off Mr Fred Arbogast who would have had to organise new molds etc and modify design.

I'm not sure for how long they used plastic bibs but it was restricted to the WW2 era. . . . hence a short run and very collectible. They came in red, black and more rarely yellow bibs and also with different hardware. There are some around with an s-wire harness . . . this one has the early style (old style) hanger. I've included a copy of the catalogue which is very basic (Mully I know you are reading this so can you tell me how to get bigger pictures , currently using shrink pictures 1000 custom??) . . . hope you can read it.

Non patent bib;
phpLHdkuLPM.jpg
phpZeTapkPM.jpg
phpC7vhuBPM.jpg
phpPF2RxDPM.jpg
phpUCmntCPM.jpg
Cool things. . . and I think made out of wood but could be wrong . . . Does anyone know??

howdy howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Re: WW2 Red lipped Jitterbug w/ Box + Catalogue

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks Dave . . . I didn't realise that -duh -duh -duh

And I will look after it, I guarantee

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 am

lol lol lol just saves load page time people/members just click what they want to see thumbsupsmilie

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:53 am

droolsmilie droolsmilie thumbsupsmilie Top lure you have there mate .Catch ya

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:06 pm

Mully wrote:lol lol lol just saves load page time people/members just click what they want to see thumbsupsmilie
Thanks Mully . . . I feel really stupid now

iidiot iidiot iidiot

Dave . . . I appreciate ALL lures but do prefer wooden ones!!! AND I really like black Jitterbugs.

I always remember an article in Lures in Depth etc that discussed the importance of silouhette and profile when viewing lures from underater and below. This is magnified 10 fold when you work with bigger wide bodied surface lures and I've never forgotten it and it had proved to be the winner when put into practice over and over again. Give me black or dark green for surface anytime (especially at night and if there is a moon).

I do like yellow bellies for daytime tho'

Jigmaster I am indebted to you bowsmilie forever bowsmilie

thumbsupsmilie

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Stupid nah dont feel stupid im looking into a way of having the click to enlarge caption on all of them thumbsupsmilie

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Guys,
here's a link to a jitterbug nuts pages, fairly basic, but good info for those who are interested.
http://www.jittermania.com/

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:31 pm

Dave . . . I'll send you one to try if you want but it won't be this one . . . my tip is to get your hands on some of the Producers copies which if you see them grab a couple (they used to be about $5 but who knows now!!). I find them to have an equal if not better action than the originals (should I say that!!) but not as well made . . . . and you can afford to lose them!!

I probably have a couple of older ones put away in packets if you want one . . . just PM me or email. They certainly won't be $15 and they will be the older ones from when they still made them properly (whoops . . . did I say that)

When you first use one you never think a fish will hit them but I've had BIG Bream (last one went 2.1kg) in saltwater smash them coming over weed beds and into drop offs and in shallow water . . . caught flathead on them too . . . trevally . . . . giant herring and I heard if you put the smallest ones on your line in mountain streams near Armidale and the like you will get smashed up by big TROUT. I've only caught 1 trout on one but it was a good one and over 1.5kg.

Use other options for them now but I always have 2 Jitterbugs with me wherever I go in 2 sizes

And yes I think I am suffering from 'Jitterbugmania' and have been for some time!! lol lol

Thanks Brad

thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Perfect Dave . . . thats a good colour pattern that one . . . probably my second choice after the black ones and good size too

Now wait for a hot early spring or summer evening and hold on tight

I'm sure you have some more hiding around somewhere

Well done

clapclap clapclap

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:13 am

[quote="MXB"]Dave . . . . my tip is to get your hands on some of the Producers copies which if you see them grab a couple (they used to be about $5 but who knows now!!). I find them to have an equal if not better action than the originals (should I say that!!) but not as well made . . . . and you can afford to lose them!!

Here the producers version of the jitterbug
Producers # 1.jpg
These are Freds Jitterbugs
Jitterbugs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fred Arbogast”