Wooden Jitterbug - Special edition nude

two-bob

Re: Wooden Jitterbug - Special edition nude

Post by two-bob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Is this the one you are talking about? He has caught a few cod on it but found it did not paddle as well as the smaller 2 inline hook type ones. As of today it's mine now. I just have to work on those Bellbrooks he has in the shed

Jitterbug Musky.JPG
Jitterbug Musky2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:53 pm

[quote="two-bob"]Is this the one you are talking about? He has caught a few cod on it but found it did not paddle as well as the smaller 2 inline hook type ones. As of today it's mine now. I just have to work on those Bellbrooks he has in the shed

Thats it . . they have a reputation for attracting big fish in USA and are often referred to as 'muskie size' Jitterbugs. No idea what they are supposed to be called or specific models.

The action would not be as wide bodied as the smaller sizes and I have a 'Jitterstick' which is elongated like that and it has more of a rolling action as opposed to a wide body paddle. Mmm . . . Bellbrooks blahblah blahblah blahblah

Well done with that and swim with care and probably best to stay away from structure with it if using it!! thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 pm

"Put it this way I rate Jitterbugs as my first choice for big bass, yellows and cod + many saltwater species like big bream etc. They have a record of attracting BIG bass and estuary perch and the last one I got was near 70cm on a mid sized jointed clicker bug in all black."

a 70cm bass???
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:27 pm

I spoke to a local store and they can still get them in new. I believe the first ones of these came in 3 colours in the early 40's. 1 was plastic (the perch colour I have) A red and white one in timber and a silver one unknown if timber or plastic.

I think I now will have to add the jitterbugs to my collection list. I am afraid to ask but how many different models and colours are there approx.?

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Rupe wrote:"Put it this way I rate Jitterbugs as my first choice for big bass, yellows and cod + many saltwater species like big bream etc. They have a record of attracting BIG bass and estuary perch and the last one I got was near 70cm on a mid sized jointed clicker bug in all black."

a 70cm bass???
Probably should clarify that . . . it was in a brackish water lagoon so was probably an estuary perch and knocked the portable scales a touch over 4kg and had a big dark black back and bronze body (this was in the mid 1990's, unfortunately the last time I caught a big estuary). Many moons ago and I always thought it was a big Aussie Bass in salty water. Had to pack up and go home after catching it . . . I was in a canoe and it was dark and I had 6 pound line . . . it was chaos.I was shaking so bad I couldn't pick up the rod and nearly capsized the canoe. lol lol lol

A bit like the one in your photo Rupe punchfrom

thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:41 pm

two-bob wrote:I spoke to a local store and they can still get them in new. I believe the first ones of these came in 3 colours in the early 40's. 1 was plastic (the perch colour I have) A red and white one in timber and a silver one unknown if timber or plastic.

I think I now will have to add the jitterbugs to my collection list. I am afraid to ask but how many different models and colours are there approx.?

2-Bob - never be afraid to ask but that is a scary question depending on how far you go back . . . hangers have changed heaps, bibs changed with patents etc etc. Modern range comes in about 3 sizes I think and then there are jointed Jitterbugs in larger sizes . . . I like them as they make a clicking sound.

Predominate colours have always been RH - Red head/ White body, Black - all black, Perch scale patterns - most common was the brown scale/yellow belly and green scale/ yellow belly which still lasts till today + and heaps of special editions.

There is also the Jitterstick and a couple of others like the Musky Jitterbug that are variations on the same theme.

I'll post some more in the future to show the differences

thumbsupsmilie

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Re the size of Bass. I have seen a pic of a 72cm Bass, yes 72cm which I believe was fork length. And a bigger surprise was that it came from the Hawkesbury river which was around 2003ish. It was a long skinny thing that going by its condition was in a bad way as I recon it would of weighed 1/2 of what a smaller normal proportion fish would going by length. Maybe a freak but still bloody huge!

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:32 pm

two-bob wrote:Re the size of Bass. I have seen a pic of a 72cm Bass, yes 72cm which I believe was fork length. And a bigger surprise was that it came from the Hawkesbury river which was around 2003ish. It was a long skinny thing that going by its condition was in a bad way as I recon it would of weighed 1/2 of what a smaller normal proportion fish would going by length. Maybe a freak but still bloody huge!
You got it and we are talking the same ecosystem where they live. . . I was fishing near the Hawksbury system when I got that one . . .

Years ago it was not uncommon to hit big bass/estuaries?? and mangrove jacks in The Hawkesbury, Cowan, Brisbane Waters, Coal and Candle Ck, Bayview (wild giant herring fishing in and around the golf course), Narrabeen Lagoon and tributaries (Deep Ck, Middle Ck) and Queenscliff Lagoon (the freakiest fishing spot in Sydney). It was not uncommon in Q.L to hit giant herring to 4kg, big eyed trevally to 2kg, small GT's to 3kg, mangrove jacks to 3kg, small queenfish to 4kg, big bass and estuaries to 4kg as well as gigantic flathead, bream and whiting. Of course it is so polluted it has been catch and release for years. For evidence there was a genine article published in the early to mid 1980's in a magazine called Australian Fishing Encyclopedia and it was in the first few editions. Anyway it showed all the above with published photos and the recomended lure was the Abu 'Killer' . . . !!

I'm sure some bass come into salt water systems where they can and then head back upstream. I've caught them at lagoon mouths and estuaries at night and guess what on . . . Black Jitterbugs . . . and they are definitely bass.

MXB

thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Yes Dave, it would be the same one. I tried to find it but was unable too. I think TonyD put that one up.

And the hail storm trip. Nup, dont want to talk about it. Actually last time I fished that stretch the old dead tree I was under had fallen into the water. I can tell you if it happened during that storm I would of ran on water, or actually been in serious trouble. I think I had already farter myself.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Nasty . . . nasty . . . nasty.

It looks like some of those hail stones are imbedded in those legs!!

MXB

Return to “Fred Arbogast”