Wooden Jitterbug - Special edition nude

MXB
Master
Master

Wooden Jitterbug - Special edition nude

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Heres a wooden Jitterbug . . . special issue from the 1980's I believe. Came in a small 2 piece box with wood grain finish (just fake wood laminate)

Anyone got info on these??
phpLjmPCWAM.jpg
php9Sxwn4AM.jpg

howdy howdy howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

two-bob

Re: Wooden Jitterbug - Special edition nude

Post by two-bob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:18 pm

No but if you you ever want to get rid of it then that could be rectified droolsmilie

Thats one very nice lure. It is strange but why is it that after all the effort lure makers go to paint lures in all diferent colours that the natural timber ones appeal to many of us most ???

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Two - Bob . . . if another one pops up its yours and agree with you totally.

Leave the lures unpainted or at least semi-nude to show the wood. Not sure what sort of wood its made of but it looks cedar-ish and sort of has the smell as well. Could be sugar pine tho' as that is a little aromatic as well. Interesting multi-patent bib??

I never even knew they existed and they were apparently a small release . . . keep your fingers crossed

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Did you pick it up in Oz or overseas? The Jitterbug has to one of those pioneer lures that influenced so many future designs. They may not have been the first paddler of that type but they are i think the best known brand, and one that is still for many a "go to" lure when the fishing is tough. I know I have a few in the constant use tackle box.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:45 pm

two-bob wrote:Did you pick it up in Oz or overseas? The Jitterbug has to one of those pioneer lures that influenced so many future designs. They may not have been the first paddler of that type but they are i think the best known brand, and one that is still for many a "go to" lure when the fishing is tough. I know I have a few in the constant use tackle box.
Was offerred it from a friend in USA . . . doubt you would find one in OZ but you just never know.

Jitterbugs are an iconic lure and I have used them since I bought my first one when I was about 10 . . . so a bit over 30 years ago. A small Jitterbug with a double on the back in that brown and yellow pattern with stripes. They have changed alot over the years with variations in hardware, bibs and the paint patterns and Jitterbug name (the way it is printed). There are some that don't have writing.

Anyway I now just collect old ones, weird ones and the only one I havn't got is a big Musky Jitterbug with the 3 sets of trebles, 2 sets out the side.

I've also got an old red plastic lipped one from WW2 era . . . I'll post in future.

Put it this way I rate Jitterbugs as my first choice for big bass, yellows and cod + many saltwater species like big bream etc. They have a record of attracting BIG bass and estuary perch and the last one I got was near 70cm on a mid sized jointed clicker bug in all black.

I LOVE JITTERBUGS

lol yay lol yay

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:52 pm

That woodie is pretty awesome never seen one of those before thumbsupsmilie

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Rodger love to see your Jitterbug with the plastic lip .This was done during the war years due to a shortage in metal .They reckon that the plastic blades lacked the weight of the metal ones which resulted in the plug not performing as well as the original one .Catch ya

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 pm

That's right Laz . . .due to a shortage of metal during WW2 they used plastic bibs on the Jitterbugs in red and black and more rarely yellow?? Must have been for about 5 - 6 years I think.

I've got a beaten up box with it too

I'll post for you soon

howdy

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Anyway I now just collect old ones, weird ones and the only one I havn't got is a big Musky Jitterbug with the 3 sets of trebles, 2 sets out the side.
I do believe my father inlaw has one of the big ones with the side trebles. I remember him using it up at POindari one night in the gorge when it was at 100% full. Will try and find it at his place when I am down there.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 pm

two-bob wrote:
I do believe my father inlaw has one of the big ones with the side trebles. I remember him using it up at POindari one night in the gorge when it was at 100% full. Will try and find it at his place when I am down there.

Two - Bob . . . . . Grab it if he'll let you have it

yay

Return to “Fred Arbogast”