1946 Heddon - A Year of MANY Changes

Heddon Lures
rivermandave

1946 Heddon - A Year of MANY Changes

Post by rivermandave » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 am

We've had some discussion and banter on here about Heddon boxes (ESPECIALLY for Runts), hardware and box catalogs over several months.

Looking through the various collector books and websites that have info concerning Heddon lures (ESPECIALLY Runts), boxes and hardware changes in the mid-1940's...it's easy for a person to get overwhelmed trying to make sense of it all. Most if not ALL have only "spotty" information...meaning that the average person would have to spend mucho $$$ on books and time on websites to put it all together.

I'm convinced that 1946 was a pivotal year for ALL 3 of those changes though...and here's a few of my thoughts.

1. Model #'s changed for sure...as the 1946 pocket / box catalog (red lettering near the bottom) shows.

2. Change of Runt boxes from the "red mouth / Wall-eyes" box to the "white mouth / Walleyes" box happened...as you will see BOTH styles of boxes with the newer model # types. I have even seen a couple of the newer style boxes with the old style model #...but they are RARE for sure.

3. Although the Brush box was no longer used after 1943 for Runts...it was still used for Lucky 13's and other larger lures until the 1946 model # change (and larger "banner" style box)....as there are MANY Brush boxes found with the new style 1946 model #'s.

The hardware issue is a little more "sticky" though. But if you were to take a magnifying glass to the 1946 pocket catalog...you can see that some of the lures pictured have the surface-style hardware. Tom Jacomet on http://www.lurelore.com says he has a letter from Heddon that states that the hardware change happened in 1947...but he too personally thinks that it started in 1946.

That said..here's how I personally look at all of this.

A. Red mouth box. If the lure has 2 piece hardware, the code should be the older code. If the code is newer (1946), then the lure SHOULD have either transition or surface configurations.

B. White mouth box. Lure SHOULD have either transition or surface hardware.

I'm attaching a pic of Go Deeper boxes...which not only addresses all of the above...but also shows how fickle the Go Deeper situation was over the years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: 1946 Heddon - A Year of MANY Changes

Post by Mully » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:58 pm

thanks for the insight mate one thing i find very hard to get is lures with good packaging now days especially heddon and flatfish box's always seem to be torn or crappy.
Been studying the heddon swimmerspoon and the variables there of mate too much going in and not enough sticking also so much of what is stated is sometimes not correct when you search deeper into your latest passion of lure type crazysmilie

rivermandave

Re: 1946 Heddon - A Year of MANY Changes

Post by rivermandave » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:18 am

Super clean boxes don't come up everyday for sure. But when they do...they usually get gobbled up pretty quick.

And potential finds in tackle boxes & estates are dwindling every day....as there's only so many left out there.

When you factor in the age (+45 years) and environment variables...it's not going to get easier. crazysmilie

And hardcore collectors don't pass away very often...and when they do...items are usually offered to close friends and other collectors 1st.

Return to “James Heddon”