fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Some Heddon top waters

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Just a smattering of odds & sods in Heddon topwater lures I have in the drawer
Heddon topwaters.jpg
Cheers Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Some Heddon top waters

Post by diemai » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:09 am

@ fishaholiclures

I was lucky to find a few on a Hamburg fleamarket today as well ............sadly the "Tiny Torpedo" is badly beaten up , I'd like to get it fit for fishing again !

Wondering , what would be of most advantage , ..........rigging new hooks with small splitrings , trying to find fitting size open shank trebles to slide over the eyes or untwist the eyes , carefully open them with pliers and put new hooks , and screw them back in with some superglue or epoxy glue(they can easily be moved , anyway) ?

greetz , diemai howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Dieter .Have you thought of using small double hooks like the ones used on the French Floppys for the Heddon Torpedo.Catch ya

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

@ laz

Thanks , mate , ......I guess , that I have a few down the basement somewhere , if I can't obtain fitting open trebles , I'd surely use these doubles thumbsupsmilie !

Greetz , Dieter howdy

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Dieter,
We used to do a lot of customising on Torpedos, taking props off, adding a prop to the front, switching treble sizes etc. You will find the screw eyes are quite long for the lure size and the bodies are quite sturdy where they screw in. I would have no issue with you just screwing them in and out a couple of times, but certainly using some Super Glue will stop them coming loose.
Try the doubles as Laz suggested, you can also run them point up to make the lure more weedless, or even add small split rings as we do for the teeny torpedo and hang VMC #12 trebles off them. works a treat for our Bream and Whiting, not sure what they would relate to in your area.

Brad
acta non verba

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:39 pm

@ fishaholiclures

Thanks a lot about your hints on the screw eyes , haven't tinkered a lot with such before , as there are not so many of these old style lures to be found over here .

I am now very sure , that I can get it goin' again !

I assume , that it is made of a kind of hard foam material , not wood ?

greetz , Dieter howdy

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:29 am

Dieter,
with the torpedoes you will find they are all modern plastic type 2 pce ( 2 bits sonic welded together) bodies. The basic interior is hollow with moulded strong points around the mounting areas.

Brad
acta non verba

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:04 pm

@ fishaholiclures

Thanks , Brad , I assumed them not to be made of wood , anyway , .......but also not that small "TinyTorpedo" to be hollow bodied(that's why I've thought about hard foam) .

By now I've already fixed it up.........I've found a set of small fitting tinned trebles , untwisted the eyes and opened them a bit with pliers to rig the new hooks straight to them , bent close again , and set them back in with a drop of superglue .

I would not have decided for this method , if I would not have had some screw eyes of almost same size in stock !
But the original eyes are seemingly made of stainless steel , not brass ,...... they withstood that little operation without breaking !

Also applied a drop foil to the props bearing thumbsupsmilie !

So now the lure is my tacklebox awaiting its first swim(after a long time , I suppose ,........evident by the traces on its paint it has been in frequent use and also must have caught quite a few fish , the question is only whether it was in local waters) .

Thanks for help , ......greetz , Dieter howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:37 pm

fishaholiclures wrote:Dieter,
We used to do a lot of customising on Torpedos, taking props off, adding a prop to the front, switching treble sizes etc. You will find the screw eyes are quite long for the lure size and the bodies are quite sturdy where they screw in. I would have no issue with you just screwing them in and out a couple of times, but certainly using some Super Glue will stop them coming loose.
Try the doubles as Laz suggested, you can also run them point up to make the lure more weedless, or even add small split rings as we do for the teeny torpedo and hang VMC #12 trebles off them. works a treat for our Bream and Whiting, not sure what they would relate to in your area.

Brad
I agree totally with Brad on this but it does depend on the hardware. Deiter looks like you sorted it out.
thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

My preference is to unscrew and reglue using CA+ glues like Superglue or my fave Zap-a-Gap. With the older style hangers I add a suitable sized high quality split ring + a modern style short shank treble. This way you can replace in the future by just taking hook off split ring and putting on a new one. By using the short shanks it allows for the extra length (drop) of the split ring. The bell hardware stuff has more margin for error . . . most times I just cut the hook off and add split ring and new treble without unscrewing. If there is any rust in there it only weakens the lure.

@Deimei . . . if you ever need authentic vintage trebles to go on these in smaller sizes like #10,12 mustad tinned give me a PM . . . I use these to replace the trebles when I don't want to add split rings . . . I never use the slide-on trebles as they are just too weak but are a good emergency option!!

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm

@ MXB

Thanks for your offer , but I guess , that such ocassions to fix such old lures won't come up that much for me , but I still might get back to it one day !

I have already thrown that lure last week , it still works pretty nice , ......but as the fishing is too darn slow again this summer , I haven't had any strike twitching it through the shallow bank areas of a local gravel pit .

greetz , Dieter thumbsupsmilie

Return to “James Heddon”