Lucky 13's & Topwaters

Heddon Lures
Fizza

Re: Lucky 13's & Topwaters

Post by Fizza » Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 am

Laz & Dieter
I can't remember it accurately enough to put in writing. There's two stories regarding the idea of & how &/or when the Lucky 13 came about. Homer Circle {Uncle Homer} features in one of them.

Brad may have it down and be able to enlighten us.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat May 02, 2009 10:42 am

Homer Circle became a member of the Outdoor Writers Association of America in 1946 and has continued as an active, professional communicator ever since. He's been a past president of the OWAA and has held the position of Game and Fish Commissioner of Arkansas, hosted three national outdoor television shows, is the Angling Editor for Sports Afield magazine and today, at the age of 94, Homer Circle continues to write two monthly columns in Sports Afield and Bass Master magazines.
Uncle Homer has been inducted into the International Fishing Hall of Fame, the IGFA Hall of Fame and the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, holds four world fishing records. Homer Circle has been the angling editor of Sports Afield magazine for the past twenty-eight years and was recently recognized by the American Sportsfishing Association with their Lifetime Achievement award.

taken from a article on his bass fishing bible - "From Mexico to Canada, California to Maine, more people fish for black bass than for all other species of gamefish combined. And no one knows black bass like Homer Circle. For more than fifty years, Uncle Homer, as he's widely and affectionately known, has been obsessed with these enigmatic and often underestimated fish. A surprising amount of today's common knowledge about bass fishing originated with Circle, but this book takes you back to the source. Topics include fishing the deadliest dozen lures, seasonal tactics, fly rodding for bass, successful trolling, fishing secrets of the pros, and what sounds and colors trigger bass across the continent.'

Although no mention is made in my books, I would reckon that the "Uncle Homer' edition was to mark some acheivement in this amazing guys career
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Sat May 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info on uncle Homer . I will try to find out a bit more about the lure on the web later .catch ya

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat May 02, 2009 3:07 pm

@ fishaholiclures

Thanks a lot for your info clapclap ,.........I knew , that I came across the term "Uncle Homer" somewhere before .......!?!?

The "Lucky 13" was first issued in about 1920 in wood , during the 1950's the first plastic models got to the market (info from Carl F. Luckey's book "Old Fishing Lures And Tackle " 5th edition) .

greetz howdy , diemai
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Hope you guys don't mind this thread resurfacing again, but thought I might toss my Lucky 13s in here rather than starting afresh.

Surprisingly, they are in Perch pattern with the white belly....! Image

Lucky 13; Baby Lucky 13, and Tiny Lucky 13.

<click to enlarge>
Heddon_Lucky13.jpg
Heddon_Lucky13s.jpg
The Heddon LWB family is taking over the world!!
...well, my world anyway! Image

Actually there is a bit of a cheat here:- the large Lucky 13 is the re-issued Centenary model. When I find an original in LWB, the Centenary will go back in the pretty box for display elsewhere!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “James Heddon”