Split rings

Eric Moller
oldfish
Expert
Expert

Split rings

Post by oldfish » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:03 pm

I am reasonably confident that I have a Moller lure where the trebles have been built directly into the hangers.In all the pictures I

have seen up to now there are split rings used.I would presume that my lure would be quite an early one.

Sorry the camera is out of action at the moment.

Cheers,Jim

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Re: Split rings

Post by Marrakai » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:38 pm

Beg, borrow or steal a camera as soon as you can!

Look forward to seeing a photo.

I never saw a Moller lure without split rings when I was a kid, but anything's possible.
Are they 3x Eagle Claws?
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 am

OK Marrakai,just for you I have gone into work today to my camera and

other computer.Expecting a quiet day as I am completely sold out of bait.

Interesting story this morning,some kids with a $20 Big W combo with 6lb line and a tiny

hook using half a cocktail frankfurt for bait hauled in a 49lb cod last night.

Anyway,back to my lure.Bought it 25 years ago at a deceased estate clearing sale of an ex

NSW North Coast bass fisherman,also about a dozen Bellbrooks in the box.Nearly tossed it away a few

times as it has serious damage where someone started to saw it in half,has a chip missing at

the rear hanger and I thought it was just an amateur home made,now glad I didn't.

Has similar trebles to yours with the turned in points.Current Eagle Claws seem to have straight points.

Rear treble still has red paint on it among the rust and I like the red paint on top of the bib only on

the outsides where the lure head has shielded the centre section.

Cheers,Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Certainly looks like the genuine article.
Those trebles appear to be old Eagle Claws, yes they were curved in the pattern preferred by the Cardwell crowd (Moller & McSea).

Bet that lure has some stories to tell! Almost sawn in half... that's a new one!

BTW, occasionally we saw Eagle Claws fitted by snipping the eye of the treble on one side, bending it open, fitting it to the lure eyelet, then bending closed. Bit like making gang-hooks. Can't remember whether Eric Moller ever did this, might have been somebody else. I tried it on a couple of my own home-mades at the time, and if the treble was strong enough to start with it would happily catch fish without opening up again. I'm not recommending it though! Split rings are cheap enough these days...
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Fred Arbogast did the same thing with hooks on some of the large pencil poppers they made.

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:02 pm

OldFish:
Its been nagging at me, finally had a lucid moment and remembered where I had seen a Moller set up like yours.

Do you have a copy of Freshwater Fishing Australia's 50th Issue Limited Edition, you know, the one with the black hard-cover published in Autumn 2000?
Check out page 23. The article is called 'The Lure of Lures' by Frank Prokop, and there large-as-life is an early Moller without rings.
Frank says it is circa 1961, which is more than a decade earlier than the ones I bought and used in my teens.

Whatever you do, don't chuck it away, mate!
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 am

Sheesh Marrakai,you'll get me kicked out of the Kadaitcha Club for having to admit I had not 100% recollection of every one of El Presidente's

articles ever written.(Please forgive me,Frank)

Seriously ,though,it looks to me as if that could be one of those slip on Flopy doubles in that photo???

Interesting subject however.

Cheers,Jim

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 am

Ha! You're right, its a slip-on double. Should have had my glasses on...

No rings though! Do I get half-points for half-remembering...? Image
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

1961 sounds to early. Good friend of Eric's, Vic McCristal recalls it to be more like 1968 when he started making lures.
Either way, to have one without split rings would be very early in my guess.
All mine have the extra large rings.
Tagged and Released

Jigmaster
Guru
Guru

Post by Jigmaster » Sat May 02, 2009 1:26 am

While the ribbing is fun, I didn't actually write the caption for that picture in the story - it came from Bill Classon himself as these were lures out of Classon's museum at the time.

We have learned so much about these early lures from the collective wisdom so don't be too hard on something written nearly 50 issues ago!!

Nice to follow the discussion on these important lures!!

Return to “Eric Moller”