Scoobs Lures- "Interceptor"

Scoobs Lures
Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Scoobs Lures- "Interceptor"

Post by Marrakai » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Interesting that the first Scoobs Lures post comes from the Northern Territory!

Here's an historic bibless lure by Scoobs, the 'Interceptor'.
Its a big bugger, around 7 inches long and quite heavy, solid resin with a coloured insert.
The insert has been signed 'Top End Fishing Supplies' on both sides with hand-written black fibre-tip pen prior to casting in the resin.

Presumably these things were commissioned by Steve Compain at the time he opened the store at the 11-mile out of Darwin.
Can't remember when that was, maybe 10 or 12 years ago?

Interesting thing!

Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Scoobs Lures- "Interceptor"

Post by Mully » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:32 pm

have you ever used one for fishing ???

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Mully:
That lure was given to me fairly recently by a mate who may have fished it a few times when he first got it. He's pretty sure he bought it new.

Its actually the first Scoobs I've ever seen!

Given that Top End Fishing Supplies no longer exists, having morphed into yet another Tackleworld, I'll keep that fellow dry from now on!
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Wow! Top End Fishing Supplies opened in 1994 I'm told. Image

Time sure flies... Image
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Rellik-doc-rob
Guru
Guru

Post by Rellik-doc-rob » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 am

Marrakai wrote:Wow! Top End Fishing Supplies opened in 1994 I'm told. Image

Time sure flies... Image
Marrakai...thats right , Top end opened in around.....feb/march 1994. They only had one little shop , in the same position as now ( at the eleven mile ). It was the first division , on the far left hand side of their current position. Shop front was about 5-6 metres wide. Steves wife worked the shop , while he continued his concreting business.
First met them about 2 months after they opened when I was up there fishing the 1994 Barra-classic. The road to the Daly still had alot of unsealed road back then , and seemed like more of an adventure. Now days.....like a stroll in the park to go down there for a fish.
There were no boat ramps either....we launched just below the crossing , straight over the river bank. Or down to browns creek with similar launch. Browns creek was about 15 feet wide at the end of Wooliana rd then , and i walked across it .....just over the top of my shorts in depth. It was either the big wet in 1998 or 2000 that opened Browns creek up. Just can't remember which one.
I fished with Harro & team Daiwa in 1994.....we had a 4.2 mtr boat & 40hp motor ( which Harro could pull start )...It was one of the bigger boats and motors on the water back then. Amazing the changes since then. 6 metre plus boats and some running 175h/p plus motorsthese days. Not really sure that the fish catch rates have improved with larger boats and motors , but the travelling times down the river to the favoured spots has definately been reduced.
Reckon the old days were probably more memorable , or maybe i'm just getting to old. Great times and plenty of good memories. RDR
Rellik-Doc-Rob...

The Harder I work, the luckier I get...

fishaholic5
In The Tade
In The Tade

Post by fishaholic5 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:43 am

From what I can remember Scoobs were made by a bloke called Chris Scoble in WA.
I used them a bit chasing Mackerel off the rocks, This was my favourite colour
Scoobs.jpg
Cheers
Wal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Illusion Lures

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the reminiscenses, Rob.
Seemed like only yesterday when Steve opened the shop at the 11-mile, can't believe it was 18 years ago!
I moved to Darwin from North Queensland in January 1988, and have lived in Palmo the whole time, so I was always dropping in on the way home from town to see what new stuff Steve and the lads had on the lure-rack.
Mind you, I usually had most of my shopping done already courtesy of Channy and George!

The changes to our little corner of the Top End over the last couple of decades have been massive.
Many have not been in the best interests of recreational fishermen, but there have been quite a few improvements too.
Thanks to the buy-back of pro netters licences, many of the big rivers including the Daly are now fishing better than ever.

That's a top colour on your lure there Wal.
I'm going to keep an eye out and try to add a couple more of these to the collection.

What other patterns of lure were made by this mob?
Anyone got any other types to show?
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “Scoobs Lures”